Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
I am trying to install virtual PC and I'm stuck.

I've installed the virtual PC machine and am now trying to load Windows onto it. I'm at the point where the black screen says "OS not found. Install an OS on this hard drive."

Here, the instructions say to put in a CD and "Capture Disk." I put in the Windows XP Disc 1 CD and it doesn't recognize it in order to capture it. This is where I'm stuck. I can't reset the machine and boot from the disk like the instructions say.

I've read something about it needing to be a bootable disk. Isn't the Windows Installation disk a bootable disk? If not, is there way to create one? Am I missing something?

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
How do you do that? Seems like from the VPC instructions, all you have to do is "capture" the disk and then it will automatically boot from the CD. But it's not capturing, so I'm thinking the disk might not be the right one (even though it is the Windows install disk).

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The BIOS setting is, well, in your BIOS. There should be a "boot order" field in which you can select A, C, EXT, CD-ROM, etc. Select CD-ROm first is what generik[/b[] recommended.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
What I meant was how do you access your BIOS so you can change it? This is my first Mac and, while OS X is extremely intuitive, sometimes I stumble around like I have training wheels on.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
generik said:
Try setting your bios to boot from CD
Um, there is no BIOS in Virtual PC. If you read the first post, he's asking about installing WinXP on Virtual PC - not a real PC.

As for the question, I don't recall exactly what I did, but the WinXP disc that came with my VPC7 installed a ready-made disk image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.