Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dznutzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
i've tried other forums but no help.

i bought a 3gs iphone off ebay. the description said "unlocked." i thought it was factory unlocked so i told him not to update the firmware so i can jb it. however, the phone was actually jb/unlocked so he took this as restoring the phone back to factory settings. miscommunication! it came in the original package. it has the old bootrom verified in dfu mode. serial numbers indicate early production week [20something].

he said it has the 3.13 firmware. i can't verify as the phone is not activated and itunes is saying insert a verified sim. i only have a tmobile sim.

i read to hacktivate a 3.1.3 iphone 3gs i use redsnow to jb then ultrasnow to unlock. so i downloaded the latest itunes and ran redsnow 0.9.4 without a sim card [is that ok?]. all went well until the very last step where it says to put the phone in recovery mode to continue. i do that, it loads kernal and stuff in the pc, but after that the phone still displays the itune and usb logo [i believe this is the recovery mode logo]. no movement in the phone's display like what i've seen in youtube. same thing with redsnow 0.9.3

i asked him how he jb/unlocked the phone. he said use redsnow or ziphone. isn't ziphone outdated?

i'm lost here. what can i do? this is my first iphone so i'm a newbie. please help.

dznutzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
*update*

popped in the atnt sim card and it's firmware 4.0.

what can i do now? thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.