Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aramil2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
I got a new Mac Mini today. When I connnected it up to my screen (Sharp LCD primarily used for TV) I played about with the resolution settings and chose "1024 x ??? (stretched)", or something like that.

When I selected it my screen responded "Too Wide" and simply will not display the OS.

I restarted the Mac Mini and it's fine unitill the log in stage where it activates my "new" resolution. By the way, it logs in automatically because there's only one account on there.

So my question is, there any way I can get back into the Mac and change the resoultion settings without the new setting taking effect (so I can see what I am doing!!)

I know that I could hook up another monitor and do it that way but I simply dont have one available to me....!

Thanks in advance for any help....

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
1. Start up in Safe Mode. Like this:
1. Be sure the computer is shut down.
2. Press the power button.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).​
2. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
3. Click Displays to open the preference pane.
4. Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
5. Restart your computer.

I got this from Apple Support pages: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301345

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.