Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reardoma

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
guys, i know this sounds like i have computer OCD, but i'm just simply not going to leave this dent alone, it's going to be dealt with one way or another. I cannot pay $2000 for a notebook computer and then say, "oh well" when it suffers from damage in the first few weeks. The selling point of the MBP (and apple products in general) is its aesthetics and style as well as its performance.

And no, it did not "take me a month to notice the dent" - that would imply the dent was there from day 1, and i don't think that's the case, it probably happened within the last week (or day) or so, i am very mobile and am constantly pulling the MBP out of its carrying case, so i see the bottom quite often.

From your comments so far, here's my progress.........

1) Called apple tech to ask about applecare, not covered
2) Called local store to ask about returning, not gonna happen
3) Ordered dent remover kit (asseenontv.com)
4) thought about completely disassembling the macbook (since you guys are sure it can't be accessed through opening the back panel only) but that just seems too time consuming and intricate, and i don't want to mess with all the latches, fans, cords, etc. and possibly cause further damage unless someone knows of an easier way to get to it (the dent is below the expresscard slot)

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
And no, it did not "take me a month to notice the dent" - that would imply the dent was there from day 1, and i don't think that's the case, it probably happened within the last week (or day) or so, i am very mobile and am constantly pulling the MBP out of its carrying case, so i see the bottom quite often.

Well..that probably means you accidentally dented it yourself.. Good luck with the dent remover. Let us know how it goes.

Canuck02

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2006
Or buy a new case bottom for $250. :p

I just bought mine not even a month old and I dropped my cell on the top lid and now I ahve a damn dent and i tried forgetting about it and everytime i see or look at my laptop i think about the damn dents...where can i replace the top cover?...I ****in tried to protect it frum scratches and now a damn DENT....aahhhhh!!!!

countach

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
guys, i know this sounds like i have computer OCD, but i'm just simply not going to leave this dent alone, it's going to be dealt with one way or another. I cannot pay $2000 for a notebook computer and then say, "oh well" when it suffers from damage in the first few weeks. The selling point of the MBP (and apple products in general) is its aesthetics and style as well as its performance.

From your comments so far, here's my progress.........

1) Called apple tech to ask about applecare, not covered
2) Called local store to ask about returning, not gonna happen
3) Ordered dent remover kit (asseenontv.com)
4) thought about completely disassembling the macbook (since you guys are sure it can't be accessed through opening the back panel only) but that just seems too time consuming and intricate, and i don't want to mess with all the latches, fans, cords, etc. and possibly cause further damage unless someone knows of an easier way to get to it (the dent is below the expresscard slot)

In my experience of dents, you're not going to make it disappear, and could end up making it worse. The only reason they can repair car dents is they can fill it with putty and paint over it.

Actually that's not a bad idea. Go to one of those outfits who will paint MBPs, and get them to fill the dent before painting. Those car-duco MBPs are pretty sweet, a Ferrari red MBP would be neat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.