Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Hello MacRumors!

I'm a physician who hopes to make free nutrition plans, exercise routines, and other health tutorials for my patients in the form of videos and printable handouts. I want to throw this all on to a website I create and be able to refer my patients to it really easily. I'm looking for the best software to do this. Back in the early 2000's, I would have used my PC and gone for Adobe Premier, Photoshop, Illustrator, and make some webpage with Dreamweaver and upload to my website.

I've been out of this scene for over a decade and I now use a 5k iMac. My skills are low, but I'm also willing to learn...

Is there any particular combo of software tools you recommend I use to make this happen? Would anyone recommend going for a copy of Adobe CS6 instead of the monthly subscription service? Or should I go for Final cut pro and some other setup? I would appreciate your help!

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I do corporate videos as part of my job. Don't overlook the capabilities of iMovie and Garageband - they are quite capable for this sort of thing, and much easier to learn. If you don't want Apple, consider Premiere Elements. For CC Premiere and FCP, sign up for a class. Something to consider: find a student who knows how to make videos, but doesn't have your domain expertise. Pay him/her a nominal fee per video. They will be thrilled, not only for the money but for the resume. You will get your videos up and out faster. Win and win.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
...I'm a physician who hopes to make free nutrition plans, exercise routines, and other health tutorials for my patients in the form of videos and printable handouts. I want to throw this all on to a website I create and be able to refer my patients to it really easily. I'm looking for the best software to do this. Back in the early 2000's, I would have used my PC and gone for Adobe Premier, Photoshop, Illustrator, and make some webpage with Dreamweaver and upload to my website.

I've been out of this scene for over a decade and I now use a 5k iMac. My skills are low, but I'm also willing to learn...

Is there any particular combo of software tools you recommend I use to make this happen? Would anyone recommend going for a copy of Adobe CS6 instead of the monthly subscription service? Or should I go for Final cut pro and some other setup?

As a professional video editor, I would definitely not recommend CS6. Even if your needs are limited, it doesn't make sense using software that old. With each new OS X release you risk features not working, and CS6 will not be maintained to fix those.

The CC suite is a very comprehensive suite and gives you everything you could want. OTOH it is about $50 per month, and from a video standpoint, if you ever quit paying you lose access to your projects. That said many people will use the $10/month photo version to get Lightroom and Photoshop.

I have both Premiere CC and FCPX, personally I prefer FCPX -- it is a lot faster in several respects. That said I used Premiere for years and it's also good. If you aren't using 4k video the performance on a 5k iMac is probably adequate.

As already posted, for basic videos you don't need anything like either Premiere or FCPX. I know people who make very good instructional videos simply using Camtasia or iMovie: https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

From a web design standpoint, graphic design and layout, the Adobe suite has that (and everything else) covered. If you used (say) iMovie or FCPX you'd need something like EverWebb: http://www.everwebapp.com/,

Sparkle: http://www.everwebapp.com/, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sparkle-visual-web-design/id863015334?mt=12

Or similar.

There is no right or wrong answer. Since this is a sideline to your main profession I am tempted to suggest something like iMovie and EverWebb/Sparkle/etc and make printable handouts in Pages.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
you may want to pay some one who knows how to film you with good sound & it might be relay worth paying some one to edit for you to save the time learning.

if not have a look at imovie it may just do all you need.
CC can be a lot cheaper than buying CS6, if you can shoot edit all your video in 1 month you only pay 1 month of subscription

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
if you can get it done in 1 month, the free trial of adobe's products or fcpx should work :)

seriously, i'd second joema2's post. cs6 is old and buggy, better go for cc. fcpx is fast and cheap, and does everything you might need, but cc on the other hand gives you lots of additional tools like photoshop or dreamweaver/muse. i got both, but prefer fcpx for editing. try imovie first, but if you want to make halfway decent videos, you'll probably use a mic or external recorder for audio - you'll hit the limits of imovie pretty fast, if your material is not recorded perfectly to begin with.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Look at Rapidweaver by Realmacsoftware for simple to set up web design and pages that look awesome. Very popular with mac users industrial or not. Lots of user help and almost as easy as iWeb was to build a web site. Rapidweaver plus stacks are a lot less money than alternatives. iDeal for the amateur as learning curve is short, install is a breeze. No monthly subscription crap. The hardest part is setting up a server (or renting one) and domains.... which you need to do regardless.

I also used golive years ago. Rapid weaver is better for small sites. Along with the standard style sheet, there is much third party support and some wonderful looking stuff. No need to learn code.

Keep in mind not all PCs play QT movies well, or are set up with QT player. So pick a more universal video format like HTML. There is tons of info on the web.

https://forums.realmacsoftware.com

There is a free trial version and prices have gone up to about $100.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
i host all my video on youtube or vimeo, if your getting a lot of traffic it might be a problem to self host.
kind of depends on your turn over.

the ppl i know who work with video like cc (they charge there clents for the months use of cc in costs half the time)
the part time & ammeters i know dont like cc's monthly cost but they did not like the 2,000+ price eather so both is a pain.

it's ppl like me who picked up a student copy and used it for a long time that relay lose out with the new deal as they cant anymore, :p i used CS3 for so long after uni till CS6 :p

but relay if your not used to this it's worth talking to some pros and see what they charge as the time it takes may eat up a lot of time, is it worth your time doing that or just paying some one to do it and have it out the doo.
the old time to cost equation.
im learning to code websites and it's not easy to pick up as you work and work to tight deadlines :S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.