Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdsgner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Hello guys,

I posted a few months ago during the release of the M3 but I have finally decided that I want to purchase a new MacBook Pro laptop. I currently have a 2017 15-inch base model MacBook Pro. It runs things well but the new m1-m3 chips blew me away, tried the m1 air from a friend and I'm satisfied with the performance.

I mainly use this for designing, particularly Illustrator, Photoshop, and Lightroom. I don't do big billboard projects for Illustrator so I think I would be fine with lesser ram. I also use this for coding HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and WordPress projects. I don't open a lot of tabs when I do a project, maybe around 6 open Chrome tabs, and I don't like opening 2 Adobe apps at the same time.

As for hard drive space, I'm good with 256GB already but 512 would be ideal. So I want to ask for your opinion on which is the best choice between the 3 listed below. I also have an education discount so it could help cut the costs a bit.

1. 14-inch m3 Macbook Pro Base Model
2. 14-inch m3 Pro Macbook Pro Base Model - I like the space black color a lot and the memory is more than enough.
3. Wait for a cheaper MacBook Air M3 Model?

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
You can always add more external hard drive storage later if you need it. But you won't ever be able to upgrade the ram. If you want the Pro I would spend the extra money and upgrade to 36 gb ram. I usually tell people go with the 1 tb option for storage but no higher than that because what apple is charging is highway robbery. But at least with 1tb hd and 36 gb ram you have a little flexibility in the future if your work load gets heavier. But if you think 18 gb ram and 512 gb storage is enough for your needs then by all means get that.

Reactions: Basic75

macdsgner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
You can always add more external hard drive storage later if you need it. But you won't ever be able to upgrade the ram. If you want the Pro I would spend the extra money and upgrade to 36 gb ram. I usually tell people go with the 1 tb option for storage but no higher than that because what apple is charging is highway robbery. But at least with 1tb hd and 36 gb ram you have a little flexibility in the future if your work load gets heavier. But if you think 18 gb ram and 512 gb storage is enough for your needs then by all means get that.
I just checked a video comparing the m3 and m3 pro base models. The m3 pro has 2 fans, and an additional port. I'm kinda leaning towards this laptop but if the m3 air is as good or better at a much cheaper price, I'm willing to wait.

Reactions: twanj

Moreplease

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2024
Why would two fans be better than one unless two are needed to cool a more powerful chip?

I wouldn’t base a decision on fan count. But the M3 Pro is faster than the M3 (more cores, higher memory bandwidth).

As for any future M3 MacBook Air, it seems safe to assume it won’t be as fast as the current entry-level MacBook Pro, since it won’t have a fan and will therefore be thermal-throttled under sustained high load. Of course it might still be plenty fast enough. For that matter, even the current M2 Air is fast. And no fan is a very appealing prospect. I’d love to be done with fans in my computers.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
You'd probably benefit from the M3 Pro chip, you have the need for it. And I would definitely not get the 8gb RAM base M3 model. Don't try to open any new Adobe app on under 16gb of ram. If you price that model up to 16gb, it will be almost the same price as an M3 Pro. So just get the Pro chip.

Reactions: Basic75

macdsgner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Why would two fans be better than one unless two are needed to cool a more powerful chip?

I wouldn’t base a decision on fan count. But the M3 Pro is faster than the M3 (more cores, higher memory bandwidth).

As for any future M3 MacBook Air, it seems safe to assume it won’t be as fast as the current entry-level MacBook Pro, since it won’t have a fan and will therefore be thermal-throttled under sustained high load. Of course it might still be plenty fast enough. For that matter, even the current M2 Air is fast. And no fan is a very appealing prospect. I’d love to be done with fans in my computers.
Thanks for this, I even think the m1 or m2 air is more than enough for my apps. I know I use Adobe but I have used MBP for several projects already and it didn't cause any problems. Although if I plan to use an external monitor the m3 pro would be better right especially it's a 34 inch ultrawide

Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Get the M3 Pro. The extra port will be nice. Space Black is cool. I'd think either can drive an external monitor, it goes by resolution not size.

Unless the weight is an issue, then the Air. I've always had a MBP but never an Air so I can't compare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.