Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Hello. I am very new to videos and especially videos on Macs. What I need to do is both of the following: transfer my video (VCR) collection to DVD and also, maybe more importantly, record programmes from TV (to my VCR?) and transfer them to DVD. I want, in the second instance, to remove the few minutes before and after the main feature and to remove the advertisements. That is, edit the video? Is there specific software that allows video editing? Can I miss out the VCR stage of recording and go straight to my Mac? Can I edit the video.ts files (whatever they are) from DVDs? Am I being very stupid with these questions? Whatever, anybody's help would be much appreciated. And I hope you all had a good Christmas.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
UKnjb said:
Am I being very stupid with these questions?
Why, most definitely! :p

Try [url="http://www.elgato.com/]Elgato EyeTV[/url]. It has much of what you're asking for in regards to recording off TV.

You, of course, can use iMovie for editing, DVDxDVpro for conversion of DVD .ts or .vob files to DV and the use of a firewire DV bridge such as a Canopus DVC100.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Thanks for your advice; it is much appreciated. Not sure that I have understood it all (particularly the "use of a firewire DV bridge such as a Canopus DVC100" - seems I might really be stupid after all, oh dear). But the Elgato tip looks as though it will be the whole answer to the TV part.
Whatever, I thank you for your time and I wish you a very Happy New Year - when it arrives.

lucab1982

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
London, England
Combining clips

I have just done one massive import from my camera into iMovie HD and have about 150 clips :confused:

Is there any way of combining the clips together?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
lucab1982 said:
I have just done one massive import from my camera into iMovie HD and have about 150 clips :confused:

Is there any way of combining the clips together?

Obviously I can't give you a complete tutorial on iMovie in one forum post, but I will say that combining them is perhaps the most basic and fundamental thing that you can do with them in iMovie. Just drag the clips, in the order you like, into the timeline/clip area at the bottom of the iMovie window.

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2005
London, UK
More problems with video editing - help, please!

Hi
So. So I have taken the advice that I was given and ---- um, I have met even more problems. Am I doing something really wrong?
The start: - I recorded a programme from TV onto a VCR. A friend dropped the programme down onto a DVD. Because I had a margin of safety built in to the VCR recording, I have a DVD with about 3 minutes of rubbish either side of the main programme, 50 minutes long, which I want to edit out.
The advice I was given was to get hold of DVDxDV and do it that way. Which is what I did (using the trial version), editing out the rubbish at both ends of the programme. And it took about 2 hours for DVDxDV to process the editing.
I ended up with 12 QT movie files, each of which were about 1.6 GB big!!!! Way bigger than the original DVD .TS files. And then, when I went to stitch everything back together again, in iMovie, I was told that the project was too big!!!
Somebody, please help! It has got to be easier than what i am doing (and doing wrong in the first place undoubtedly).
Why is there not an app that snips off bits from .TS files in one go? Or is there?
Thanks in advance.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
UKnjb said:
I ended up with 12 QT movie files, each of which were about 1.6 GB big!!!! Way bigger than the original DVD .TS files. And then, when I went to stitch everything back together again, in iMovie, I was told that the project was too big!!!
Normal. DVDxDV uncompressed the DVD video for you and recompressed it using the DV codec which is a lot less efficient, but is liked by iMovie and iDVD. Not sure why you got a message that it was too big from iMovie. You sure it wasn't iDVD that gave you that message?

UKnjb said:
Why is there not an app that snips off bits from .TS files in one go? Or is there?
I think you mean the .VOB files that are within the VIDEO_TS folder.

Maybe this would help? http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

B

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2005
London, UK
balamw said:
Normal. DVDxDV uncompressed the DVD video for you and recompressed it using the DV codec which is a lot less efficient, but is liked by iMovie and iDVD. Not sure why you got a message that it was too big from iMovie. You sure it wasn't iDVD that gave you that message?

I think you mean the .VOB files that are within the VIDEO_TS folder.

Maybe this would help? http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

B

Ummmm ----- I was so certain that it was iMovie, but with all of these problems, I am now not at all sure that it wasn't iDVD.

Probably. VOB, TS ----- I did say that I was new to videos and editing!!! Sorry for being so ummm --- thick. But many thanks for putting me right.

Now that has been a really class, sweet piece of advice. Downloaded it, ran through my programme and --- Bingo!!! Everything is now sweetness and light. And it is free!! I owe you a lot for taking the time to reply. Thank you. And a very Happy New Year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.