Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suenlar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I have received a Sony HandyCam DCR-SR40 for Christmas. I was hoping that it would automatically connect with iPhoto, iMovie, or iDVD so that I could download the videos. That isn't happening. I keeping getting an error message that the QuickTime movie cannot be read. The info that came with the camera is not very helpful.
I hope someone can help. I am relatively new to the digital camera world, so please be considerate.
Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The camera is a hard disk recording model, and doesn't have a Firewire connection. It records in the lossy MPEG-2 format, which is not directly compatible with iMovie, and reviews rate it low for image quality. Sony does not provide Mac software (they provide Windows software, which reviews also rate poorly). You can buy additional software to convert MPEG-2 to a usable format - instructions here http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/user_reviews3679.html

Can you take the camera back for a refund? A MiniDV camera with Firewire (i.link) connection would be easier all around, and by all reports, provide a better picture.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
The camera is a hard disk recording model, and doesn't have a Firewire connection. It records in the lossy MPEG-2 format, which is not directly compatible with iMovie, and reviews rate it low for image quality. Sony does not provide Mac software (they provide Windows software, which reviews also rate poorly). You can buy additional software to convert MPEG-2 to a usable format - instructions here http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/user_reviews3679.html

Can you take the camera back for a refund? A MiniDV camera with Firewire (i.link) connection would be easier all around, and by all reports, provide a better picture.

yes, mpeg-2 isnt really supported :eek: sorry. :( maybe you can take it back amnd get something else? Good luck

suenlar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
You can buy additional software to convert MPEG-2 to a usable format - instructions here http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/user_reviews3679.html

After carefully reading the receipt, my husband discovered that he cannot return the camera!!!!! So I read your posting more carefully.
Thank you so much for the link to purchasing software to convert to MPEG-2. I did that and now I can at least import the videos to iPhoto and iMovie. However, I cannot get the audio. That is probably another problem that I have to figure out.
Thanks again.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
After carefully reading the receipt, my husband discovered that he cannot return the camera!!!!! So I read your posting more carefully.
Thank you so much for the link to purchasing software to convert to MPEG-2. I did that and now I can at least import the videos to iPhoto and iMovie. However, I cannot get the audio. That is probably another problem that I have to figure out.
Thanks again.

The audio might be difficult but i know it is [ossible, im usr eomsone here can point you to something. As for the can't return as that due to that he sent in a rebate on it? I know that in the past you can still return it to the manufacturer, jsut not the store. My mom had this happen it broke right after we sent the rebate my mom acalled and they allowed her to send it tomthe manufacturer, the rebate was for the store and we got a new one. Good luck!

suenlar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
The audio might be difficult but i know it is [ossible, im usr eomsone here can point you to something.

I found out how to get audio. I just had to read the info. in the link given in the previous post. I now have video and audio transferred from camera to Mac and have saved it as a QuickTime movie. I should be all set to start working with the videos in iMovie and/or iDVD. (Let's hope!!)
As to why we couldn't return the camera---my husband discovered that returns were allowed within 14 days of purchase, and it has been longer than that.
Thanks to everyone who has helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.