Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mahyarv14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
So I bought a OWC mercury extreme 115gb on May for my 2011 15 inch pro. I installed it in the hdd bay and moved the 500 hdd to optibay. The ssd worked fine for about a month. I had the computer in sleep mode (i closed the lid my self) and it was plugged in. Then when i opened it i got a beach ball and i couldn't do anything else. Tried clicking everywhere but nothing. So I tried rebooting but all I got was a grey screen with NO apple logo. Tired nvram reset, reseated my ram, and everything but no help. Tried reinstalling OSX to see if the disk utility detects the ssd but the macbook would not bootup from the installation cd when the ssd was plugged in, when i unplugged the ssd, it booted up from the installation cd. I tried pressing 'c' and option but no help. So i got a replacement and that worked fine until today.

Today, the SAME EXACT thing happened. I dont know what's causing this. Should i get a different brand such a an Intel 320? Need advice and help. Thanks you all.

Last edited:

Sam2lucky13

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
isnt there a max return policy of twice? id play it safe and ditch the optibay configuration.

Im on my second ssd from owc and never had any issues.

mahyarv14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
So you're saying this second time that they are replacing it is the last time? If if fails again then no more replacement? I don't see that anywhere here. Also, how would the optibay cause the SSD to fail since I had the SSD in the main HDD bay? I used the optibay for my 500gb HDD.

MKang25

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
They can deny your request for a replacement if there is an excessive amount but if they do then they will just refund you and just not let you purchase the drive anymore.

christeeezy

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Interesting, I too have a 115gb OWC Mercury Extreme Pro bought in May. I also have the same configuration as you: 2011 15" MBP with SSD in main, HDD in opti. I have had literally zero problems, yet..

How are you using the drive, specifically? Is there a boot camp partition on the SSD? Are your user folders symlinked to the HDD, or not? How often are you transferring from the drive?

mahyarv14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Well I have OSX installed (clean copy) on the ssd. I just use the HDD for my music, pictures, and other things. There's no OS on the HDD. All the applications are on the SSD.

infect

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I just had this *exact* same problem with the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G. It worked fine for about 2 weeks and then, bam... beachballed and then wouldn't restart.

What did you end up doing in the end? Just get another replacement?

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
happened to me with an Extreme 6G not long ago. Mac Pro would not restart, the SSD was the culprit. the extreme 6G has a 5 year warranty. i called OWC and they overnighted me a replacement, and everything has been great so far. it was easy and painless....great tech support/customer service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.