Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Hi!! I'm downloading the sims 4 right now from origin, I tried looking up if others that have MacBook Pro non touch bar base model have tried to play sims on their laptop, but I couldn't find any related post. I know my laptop is not really ideal for gaming, but My question is, would it be safe for me to play sims 4 on my MacBook Pro? I don't need it on the highest settings. I'm just worried about my laptop heating up. Would it fry my laptop? Here's the requirements

IMG_2020.PNG

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Your laptop will be just fine. Should play the game without any difficulty.

you are right! I was able to play it, however the laptop got hot. I was using the system pal application where it could tell the temperature. it was 63 degree Celsius and the fan was running to 3000 to almost 4000 rpm. is it safe?

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
63C is not even high.

so the laptop being hot is totally okay since the temperature is only 63? how about the fan speed? I use the system pal app. im sorry for too many questions!!

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
so the laptop being hot is totally okay since the temperature is only 63? how about the fan speed? I use the system pal app. im sorry for too many questions!!

The cpu can tolerate as much as 100C until it dies eventually in a some point.

The fan does its job - keeping the system temperature down and when it needs to cool down it more, the fan starts spinning faster.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
The cpu can tolerate as much as 100C until it dies eventually in a some point.

The fan does its job - keeping the system temperature down and when it needs to cool down it more, the fan starts spinning faster.

What happens when the computer dies from being too hot? Does it shortens the battery or damage anything for long term? does it have a long term effect on the laptop?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
As Vatter69 said above, if your MacBook gets too hot - it will shut down to prevent overheating.

Dont worry.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What happens when the computer dies from being too hot? Does it shortens the battery or damage anything for long term? does it have a long term effect on the laptop?
Just play, you're not going to have any problems and it's not worth worrying, unless you stuff the machine in a sauna you're not going to harm it by playing such a game.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Just play, you're not going to have any problems and it's not worth worrying, unless you stuff the machine in a sauna you're not going to harm it by playing such a game.

lol sorry! thanks guys! I am just worried as I am planning to keep this thing until 3- 4 years maybe.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I played Sim 4 few times and have no problem with my 2012 rMBP but now I stopped playing because I dont know how to play! :)

did it ever affect the battery life or over all performance (long term) of your MacBook?

Nv1990

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
you are right! I was able to play it, however the laptop got hot. I was using the system pal application where it could tell the temperature. it was 63 degree Celsius and the fan was running to 3000 to almost 4000 rpm. is it safe?
iAm running it on 2017 MacBook Pro 13 Without touch bar It dose get warm but fan is doing it job to keep computer safe and cool

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.