Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
a client just gave me this 85 meg MPG file that is about 5 minutes long...but it will only play 1 minute of the video. weird thing, is that i actually saw a bit of the other video at the end, but i can't access it - it's very strange.

anybody know how to get to the other parts of the video - is there an easy way to deal with this?

confused as hell...jv

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
whoa...apparently the video is somehow layered a friend told me (??!). how do i access the other layers? is there a tool for this? aargh!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If you have QuickTime Pro, Go to the Movie menu, select Get Info

In the popup window select video track from the topmost option item on the left. On the right, click the other option item and select layer. This should get you access to the other layers. You might need to play around to find out how many there are, if there is more than one.

I don't know if this is available in the regular version, but try and see if its the only one you have.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
wow...that's what "muxed" is all about...

i got it to work...a little...all that work just to see some engineer talking about plant maintenance...ugh...

any more tips? it's not working perfectly - i haven't got the whole thing yet...

thanks!

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
i personally believe that forums are great for having problems solved...and also as a resource for people in the future...concerning my problem...i found this note elsewhere...posted just in case anybody has this problem too...

There is a solution:
You are able to resplit the chunks with rosetta (see versiontracker.com). use the "Fix" function in the File menu.
To join the chunks, so quicktime is able to playback them as 1 movie, you could either paste them together in quicktime, or use mpgtx (http://www.biermann.org/philipp/ ) a simple command-line based app for os9 and osx to batch join them to a single movie.
Of course, this does not work everytime, because there could be other bugs inside the file besides only beeing uncorrectly joined. also rosetta somtimes wont resplit correct. and mpgtx will only join files having the same characteristics. But often works fine for many files from the internet/news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.