Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M7kee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Installed Sierra last weekend and since then I have been unable to open Safari. The program opens and it immediately crashes and brings up the "unexpectedly shut down" window. This happens every time. I have already re-installed Sierra thinking it was an OS issue but no change. Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like maybe you have an extension or some app installed that is causing this conflict in Sierra.

Try two things and let us know if either helps.

First try holding the shift key at startup to boot to safe mode. Safe mode stops all launch and startup items from running, so if that fixes it it tells us one of those items is the problem.

Also, try making a new temp/test admin account in System Prefs Users & Groups and see if Safari works okay there. If it does, that tells us it is something in your old account like an extension causing this.

M7kee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
It sounds like maybe you have an extension or some app installed that is causing this conflict in Sierra.

Try two things and let us know if either helps.

First try holding the shift key at startup to boot to safe mode. Safe mode stops all launch and startup items from running, so if that fixes it it tells us one of those items is the problem.

Also, try making a new temp/test admin account in System Prefs Users & Groups and see if Safari works okay there. If it does, that tells us it is something in your old account like an extension causing this.

Booted up in safe mode and went into the guest profile and Safari worked, but did not work on my Admin account even while in Safe Mode.

When making a new test admin account it also opens up, so it looks like you hit the nail on the head.

How to i go about deleting extensions / preferences within safari without being able to open it?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How to i go about deleting extensions / preferences within safari without being able to open it?

Quit Safari, then go to this folder and delete the contents to kill all extensions.

Note this is your user Library folder and not the main system Library folder.

If you are having trouble getting there, you can select the line below with your mouse, then right click and in the Services menu pick Reveal in Finder.

Code:
~/Library/Safari/Extensions

M7kee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2016
Quit Safari, then go to this folder and delete the contents to kill all extensions.

Note this is your user Library folder and not the main system Library folder.

If you are having trouble getting there, you can select the line below with your mouse, then right click and in the Services menu pick Reveal in Finder.

Code:
~/Library/Safari/Extensions

Went ahead and deleted extensions and the plist and still no luck.

Could it help if I delete the info in library/safari/localstorage as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.