Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkk12010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Hey there, I've been having some pretty serious glitches following the upgrade to El Capitan and was looking for some help. I'm on a MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012) running 10.11.1 (2.5GHz Intel Core i5 and 8GB 1600 MHZ DDR3). Application windows have been leaving lag trails across the screen, and the whole display has been "twitchy:" scrolling makes the toolbar text appear to vibrate, and sometimes thick lines of glitch appear across the screen at random intervals. It appears while using all different applications. The entire display failed today, showing only colors and static, which I took photos of (screenshot didn't capture it correctly).

Following the crash today, the audio card seems to have failed as well; I have no audio output from either the built in speakers nor headphones that I connect. In system preferences, no audio outputs are available.

I screengrabbed it a few times, and also got a video, here they are.

http://imgur.com/share/a/nMoL1

XiPnBFn

a4eWqIw
Lk8u5Ec
XiPnBFn

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It really looks like a GPU issue.

The stock version of your computer ships with 4GB of RAM. Did you upgrade it at some point? If so, can you put the original 4GB of RAM back in and see if the problem persists?

mkk12010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
It really looks like a GPU issue.

The stock version of your computer ships with 4GB of RAM. Did you upgrade it at some point? If so, can you put the original 4GB of RAM back in and see if the problem persists?

I got it straight from Apple with the 8GB of RAM, I ordered it like that (I do a lot of video editing and music production so I wanted more than just the stock 4GB)!

mkk12010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
I guess you could try a clean install.
That's definitely an option.. But I'd rather avoid having to go through the whole process of a clean install if I can; restoring everything from media to license files is a real pain haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.