Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
He has a point; if the MacBook is not recognising the internal keyboard, it's clearly a defect from the water damage. If the keyboard and/or trackpad are not working, as well as having dialogue windows popping up asking for keyboards to be connected to back up this idea, then I'd say that's something to worry about seeing as the computer is not functioning properly...

Well, yes, of course the water damage and the malfunctioning keyboard/trackpad is "something to worry about" but I was obviously specifically talking about the bluetooth window that was popping up that the OP was also worried about.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
A MacBook Air isn't properly recognizing its own internal keyboard after a water spill and you say there's nothing to worry about? Okay then.

I'm not a technician but it sounds to me like the logic board is probably okay but the keyboard has been damaged perhaps permanently. Inside the Mac, the back of the keyboard has a plastic sheet covering it and the edges if this sheet are glued to the metal case. I'm guessing that this covering might have caught the water and stopped it dripping on the main logic board, but if there is still water in it you want to get it dried out asap before fiddling around anymore with the Mac.

b e n

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Well, yes, of course the water damage and the malfunctioning keyboard/trackpad is "something to worry about" but I was obviously specifically talking about the bluetooth window that was popping up that the OP was also worried about.
The only reason the Bluetooth window pops up is because the MacBook Air is unable to detect its own internal keyboard which, under normal operation, shouldn't happen ever. It's standard OS X behavior: "Do I detect a keyboard? No? Automatically launch Bluetooth keyboard assistant." However, this is only meant for desktop computers such as the iMac and Mac mini which have detachable keyboards. There's no scenario where a MacBook (Air/Pro) should also trigger said OS X behavior, except when there's a major issue with its own integrated keyboard.

You telling someone not to worry when seeing that window on their MacBook Air is really out there. The Bluetooth keyboard assistant launching is a direct side effect of a hardware failure related to the water spill. For whatever reason you have a hard time understanding things can be related and aren't separate topics at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
When I spilt a beer down the screen and over the logic board of my MBA I immediately powered it off, inverted it and shook out the excess liquid, then set a blow drier up to send warm air through the machine for several hours. Later I cleaned up the logic board with a little alcohol and a q-tip. Works fine now. If I were you I would take the bottom case off and blow warm air across it for several hours but be careful not to put the blow drier too close so it doesn't get too hot.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
You telling someone not to worry when seeing that window on their MacBook Air is really out there. The Bluetooth keyboard assistant launching is a direct side effect of a hardware failure related to the water spill. For whatever reason you have a hard time understanding things can be related and aren't separate topics at all.

Look, I don't know what to tell you. The OP and everybody else already understands that the keyboard is broken. That's the obvious, primary problem.

I'm saying don't worry about that bluetooth window because it's a result of the keyboard being broken, and not a separate problem.

Obviously the OP should worry about his keyboard being broken, because he can't type anything. Or do you think we're all a bunch of complete idiots who might think that it's nothing to worry about when you can't type anything?

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Or do you think we're all a bunch of complete idiots who might think that it's nothing to worry about when you can't type anything?
I'm just addressing you, hence the direct quotes. Really no need to drag others into this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.