Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
I have some canned air at home so I will give that a try. Im not sure what you mean by modifier key.

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri
Same Problem Intel iMac

I have an intel iMac with the exact same problem. I am using bluetooth mouse and keyboard...

I took the batteries out of the mouse, waited 30 seconds, put them back in, and voila! it works.

Don't know quite what a person would do in the case of a laptop, though...

Good luck!
JB

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
My bluetooth keyboard works fine, as does my built-in keyboard. I havent been able to use my mighty mouse in weeks. Issue is still unresolved.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Sounds like the trackpad button is stuck down, hence why it ejects cds at boot. Can you hold down the option key and get to the boot menu? You should be able to insert your OS install disc at that point to initiate a reinstall if that's what you want to try. You could also use that screen to test to see if you can click anything there. If you can't then it's definitely a hardware and not a software issue.

pavehawk

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
I just had the exact same problem. I use the wireless mac mouse. While the pointer would move and highlight I couldn't click on anything.

I changed the batteries...works like a champ now!

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
NOT a mouse problem. I havent used my wireless mouse since it started. I cannot click with a mouse or the trackpad button. The computer locks up if I click the trackpad button and I have to make it sleep and wake it back up so that I can use the wired mouse again.

pasquatch

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Okay so I'm in the same boat and have done everything you have up to this point. Did you find any solutions to this problem?

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
No I have not. The only solution I found to an issue that seemed similar was replacing the logic board. I chose the option of buying a MBP. Wish I could help. The only way I can use my macbook is with a wired mouse still.

EthanKo

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
I have had the exact problem you have thesedays
After all those tricks trying to resuce
It just recover itself once, and get me back to headache 2 days after

Would it be the only way as to buy a new Macbook?
It's just kind of joke to have such a money outbrust thesedays...
but what option do we have?

Hope someone else could pop up a solution for us.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
The only 'fix' I found online was the replacement of the logic board. Which I saw on someone's blog. The part alone is 3-400 bucks from what I remember

desertintheshap

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
I have this same problem. Nothing works. I thought it was because I installed too many fonts (8000) because once i removed them it worked fine. Now it doesn't. I have tried EVERYTHING. It is not the trackpad, the batteries, etc. It has a brand new hard drive and 6 gigs of ram. That's not the problem either. I wonder if Apple runs diagnostics for free? (at the genius bar)
btw. My buddy is bringing my snow leopard disc over now. Going to see if I can run disk utility from the disc or I may have to just install and do everything fresh. I really don't want to lose everything though and if there is a problem I sure it is bigger than snow leopard. So how exactly can I check if the logic board is going out or if something is screwing up my system? Like i said, I have done everything suggested and I still only get my desktop.
When I try to click anything (including finder and the apple in the menu bar) my screen just goes away, comes back and blinks every time I try to click. Safe Mode doesn't work either, same thing.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I still dont really know what hardware component could cause these issues so suddenly. I have been able to click with my wired mouse for awhile, if it starts screwing up I can shut it to put it to sleep, then wake it again and get it working.

Hard drive or ram are prime suspects.

criffelcottage

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
computer keeps freezin

hi new to here hope am in right place....my puter keeps freezing fisrt time on a mac..i av the latest mac out...the curser thingy keeps spinning and i av to turn it of by the back button thanks

gcoghill

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Ohio
One way I found to temporarily fix the issue is to hold the Option key & right-click the Finder icon in the Dock. That will reveal a "Relaunch" menu and for me, that temporarily fixes the issue.

Interesting that someone mentioned the wireless mouse aspect, as I think my issues started since I bought a Magic Mouse.

Seem to only get the problem after the Mac has been idle for a while (I don't set my Mac Pro to go to sleep, only the displays).

Jay Marcase

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
I have an intel iMac with the exact same problem. I am using bluetooth mouse and keyboard...

I took the batteries out of the mouse, waited 30 seconds, put them back in, and voila! it works.

Good luck!
JB

I have an intel iMac 27'' and I have the same issue but I just leave the computer a minute an then everything becomes clickable again.

micropop

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004

Good luck!
JB

That just worked for me. Thanks!

thevideoguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
I had the same problem with a 27" Intel iMAC. Removing the batteries from the mouse solved the problem for me. Thanks!

quanguwa

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
hey,have you found the way to solve it? i have the same problem and it drives me nut now

quanguwa

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
the technical guy in store simply took my battery out and replaced it by another one and problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was just simple as that, the old battery was bloated and touched the track pad, that was where all began

macpixy

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Same Problem here

Tried switching the battery out like the poster above suggested.. No such luck.

I can access my files via the finder, but anything on the desktop is locked and unresponsive. Very Strange. Rebooting finder has not helped at all.

EDIT: TO fix this issue I went into system Preferences, opened up my Trackpad settings, On the double-click speed area it was set to the fastest setting... I lowered it to the middle speed. IT works again.

Last edited:

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
the technical guy in store simply took my battery out and replaced it by another one and problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was just simple as that, the old battery was bloated and touched the track pad, that was where all began

On my mbp 2,1 the battery "swelled" and I couldn't click anything. Check that your battery hasn't swelled, even if it isn't visible, try running without the battery installed (just running from the AC Adapter) and see if the problem persists.

If the problems persists, another thing to try is going into Keyboard and Mouse preferences and checking "Ignore Trackpad when Mouse is Present". If your mouse works then, well, your trackpad has gone bad.

EDIT: Just realized this is a zombie thread!!! Awesome. :p

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 10.45.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 10.45.26 AM.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 237

jhuerta

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
I had a very similar issue.

No click (right or left click) on the desktop. However, any other application was working fine. Also, I noticed I had no icons on the desktop.

In my case, it was due to PATH FINDER. I removed the options whereas it starts at login and hide some finder and those things.

Try just to uninstall PATH FINDER and see if you recover your desktop. If that's the case, you can play with PATH FINDER and see what was the option disabling your mouse on the desktop.

Hope it helps.

Jkwebber

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
Here Is how i fixed it. Powered down my imac, unPlugged from the back of the computer the power cable, all external stuff plugged in. Let it chill for 30 sec, then hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds. Plug it back in and start her up! Worked twice over the years for me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.