Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkharmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Manchester, UK
I recently bought a 12" TiBook off eBay and have been really pleased with it. Much better than PCs which I have been using all my life.

I installed office 2004 on it earlier this week and since then applications have crashed every now and then. I booted it up this morning and finder was not responding. I tried to open up other applications on the dock (mail, safari, excel and word) and each one said that an unexpected error had occured and refued to open.

I shut the computer down and restarted it, and now I can't even get into the dock! My Desktop appears and System preferences works - just, but nothing else does.

Problem is, I don't have a copy of Os X 10.2. It was installed when I got the computer.

Currently running OS X 10.2.8

Are there any conflicts between office and OS X.

Please help as I havn't a clue what to do.

Thanks

James

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
jkharmer said:
I recently bought a 12" TiBook off eBay and have been really pleased with it. Much better than PCs which I have been using all my life.

I installed office 2004 on it earlier this week and since then applications have crashed every now and then. I booted it up this morning and finder was not responding. I tried to open up other applications on the dock (mail, safari, excel and word) and each one said that an unexpected error had occured and refued to open.

I shut the computer down and restarted it, and now I can't even get into the dock! My Desktop appears and System preferences works - just, but nothing else does.

Problem is, I don't have a copy of Os X 10.2. It was installed when I got the computer.

Currently running OS X 10.2.8

Are there any conflicts between office and OS X.

Please help as I havn't a clue what to do.

Thanks

James

Since you are new, do you know to use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. Something that needs to be done after Updates of the OS.

If no, Open Application folder, there should be another folder Utilities. You will find Disk Utility and run it. When it starts, choose the drive that has OS X on it, and you will see Verify and Repair Disk Permissions. Do Repair.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
varmit said:
Since you are new, do you know to use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. Something that needs to be done after Updates of the OS.

If no, Open Application folder, there should be another folder Utilities. You will find Disk Utility and run it. When it starts, choose the drive that has OS X on it, and you will see Verify and Repair Disk Permissions. Do Repair.

Permission repairs aren't going to help something this serious.

Did 12" TiBooks ever exist? I think the first 12" was Alu...

You definitely need to do a clean install. Buy a copy of Panther (10.3) or borrow a friends. Do a complete clean install; hopefully it won't happen again.

jkharmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Manchester, UK
I figured that I may have to get the panther software and re-install. I'll do this and let you know what happens.

(I think it is a TiBook G4 867MHz 640 Ram 60 Gig HD)

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I would repair permissions and see if that fixed it, and then after that I would just get a copy of Panther (or you could wait until Tiger is released later this year (nov/dec).

just for clarification, you do not have a tibook, it's an albook (made out of aluminum). either that or your eBay seller sold you some messed up TiBook with a broken screen that he replaced with a 12-inch screen.

jkharmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Manchester, UK
I would repair permissions if I could access finder! All I can do is get into system preferences. Will Tiger be much much better than Panther - if so it may be worth my while buying a second hand copy of 10.2 until then. I do not know any one else who owns an Apple (they all have PCs).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to speak to a mac consultant who works in a local shop tomorrow and see if he can suggest anything else.

James

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
jkharmer said:
I would repair permissions if I could access finder! All I can do is get into system preferences. Will Tiger be much much better than Panther - if so it may be worth my while buying a second hand copy of 10.2 until then. I do not know any one else who owns an Apple (they all have PCs).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to speak to a mac consultant who works in a local shop tomorrow and see if he can suggest anything else.

James

Did you get any CDs/DVDs/software with your PowerBook? You might have received a "Software Restore DVD." This has the OS on it. If not, I think your best bet is a cheap copy of Jaguar until Tiger comes out at the end of the year.

It's too bad your Mac experience is starting out this way. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.