Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seattlemaclover

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Seattle Washington USA
HELP!!!!
i was working on my iBook tonight and spilled water across the keyboard. I immediatly shut down the computer, and emoved the batery, then drained the water out of the keyboard by tiping the computer on it's side. i just now removed the keyboard entirely and am letting it sit to dry out.

Will there be any damage from this???

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
seattlemaclover said:
HELP!!!!
i was working on my iBook tonight and spilled water across the keyboard. I immediatly shut down the computer, and emoved the batery, then drained the water out of the keyboard by tiping the computer on it's side. i just now removed the keyboard entirely and am letting it sit to dry out.

Wait a day or two to turn it on. I have heard MANY stories on how computers work after everything dries.... Is it water? and was the keyboard still workin' when you shut it down?

kyle

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
If you are lucky enough that it works after drying out buy an iSkin for your keyboard. Pretty much everything is right below the keyboard and just imagine if you had been drinking juice or soda! I don't think you would care as much if it worked at that point. It would be a mess. Assuming you turned it off and it didn't short anything, letting it dry out is the only thing you really can do. Make sure you allow it to dry completely before attempting to power it it. It may just work.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I once knocked over a whole cup of soda on my ibook when it was on and plugged into the wall. I couldn't get it to work again.

I then called apple and played dumb and said my ibook doesn't work and I don't know why. They let me ship ibook overnight to them for free and returned my ibook 3 days later in perfect condition, no questions asked.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
foofan said:
I once knocked over a whole cup of soda on my ibook when it was on and plugged into the wall. I couldn't get it to work again.

I then called apple and played dumb and said my ibook doesn't work and I don't know why. They let me ship ibook overnight to them for free and returned my ibook 3 days later in perfect condition, no questions asked.

hmmmm, what service centre was that? Were you charged for that? I work for an AASP, I know that if I do a warranty exchange with apple on a board that has liquid spilt on it, Apple will charge us for that board.

Alex

willhclark

macrumors member
There could be damage. Only time will tell. You should remove the keyboard to make sure no liquid is inside! Need directions?

3 months ago I spilled some beer on my old g3 ibook. I cleaned it up very quickly, turned it upside to let it dry with water out. I let it sit for a week hoping it would be ok but when I tried it several keys did'nt work incluiding the space bar. So I gave it another week and all keys functioned except a half dozen. I then finally decided to take the keyboard apart. I removed it and inspected each key. Upon inspection I could not find any obvious flaw in any of the keys to allow me to fix them. After agonizing over it for about a month I bought a replacement ibook keyboard on ebay.com for $40. Now it works great, again :)

I love my Apple ibook!

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
alexprice said:
hmmmm, what service centre was that? Were you charged for that? I work for an AASP, I know that if I do a warranty exchange with apple on a board that has liquid spilt on it, Apple will charge us for that board.

Alex

Applecare protection plan. It is worth every penny.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
foofan said:

They check for liquid damage. You risked termination of your AppleCare if they noticed it.

The iBook has a metal piece under the keyboard, which means that if you immediately kill the power and pull the battery you can save the Airport card and RAM under it. The plastic under the metal should deflect most of the water, but the main worry is if it gets on on the left side and goes under the metal shielding it can short the RAM and Airport card and thusly the logic board.

Let it dry for two days at least. Keep draining it. If you have a small fan, maybe you can blow air over it but only after most of it has evaporated (so that you don't blow liquid over places that shouldn't be liquified).

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
foofan said:
Applecare protection plan. It is worth every penny.

The Plan does not cover:

"a Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation,removal, repair, or maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electricalservice external to the Covered Equipment;b Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple AuthorizedService Provider), unauthorized modification, improper environment (includinglack of proper temperature or humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure or fluctuation of electrical power, lightning, static electricity,fire, or acts of God;"

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
If the water has reached your logic board you can expect it to start corroding shortly.

As soon as the Apple Tech notices the tell-tale green corrosion you can kiss your warranty goodbye.

Your best hope is to take it somewhere friendly and get them to take it apart and clean it.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
seattlemaclover said:
HELP!!!!

I once spilled half a bottle of beer over mine... just dried it up and used it happily ever after - till i sold the little ibook ;) just make sure the water didnt make it into the inner electronics of the book

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.