Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
Quick question--bluetooth is obviously 2.4ghz. Did you ever disable the 2.4ghz band on your wifi router to force devices onto the 5ghz band? This should have sorted of almost any unintentional interactions between bluetooth and wifi. Or were you too lazy to figure out how to do this simple thing and just wasted your time going to the Apple store?

To be honest, it works like like this...... I have WiFi at work, and just about every public venue, in Singapore, has free WiFi of some kind. I do not know how many offer 5Ghz. 5Ghz does not work all that well here because buildings are made of solid concrete, and stone tile, not hollow block, or stucco. 5Ghz does not easily penetrate solid concrete, and stone tile.

Unfortunately none of the local venues give just anyone the liberty to alter the settings of their wireless routers, so I am somewhat out of luck with regard switching them! I am sure I can ask at all the local coffee shops, but I am pretty sure most of the managers will give me a very strange look. :eek: Does that qualify as "lazy"?

My ISP did provide a 5GHz router for free (Asus RT-N56U). It "bricked" during the setup (A known, and all too common, issue with that model). :eek:

The guy on the phone told me where to exchange it. I went half way across town to do so. I saw the long queue of other people exchanging their routers. It was lunch time, and I saw no reason to miss lunch over a router that cost me nothing to start with. I chucked it in the rubbish, and caught up with my colleagues for pizza! I do have priorities! :)

If I wanted to take the time, I know at least three other people who own "bricked" Asus RT-N56U, that they never bothered to exchange. Nobody is willing to take the time to try to recover them. Is it really worth trying to recover them? NOT! :eek:

And that is why I do not have 5GHz in my flat.

I really do not have any idea what my iPhone hot spot provides, or how to change it. I am guessing it is not 5GHz.

The Apple store was not so far as I thought. I was there, and back in about an hour. Usually I buy my electronics when my boss sends me to the USA, so I seldom go near an electronics store in Singapore.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.