Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d.f

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2003
Any advice would be great....

Can i an Airport Express / Extreme to Output data through it's Ethernet port...?

I have an ASDL router on it's way and want to make the iMac wireless. For the price of an origonal Airport card i could (nearly) get an Airport Express / Basestation and would be able to use it with future Apple hardware purchases......

The idea being, connect the iMac to the Base Station through it's ethernet port and recieve internet / network though that.

does this sound possible...?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
d.f said:
Any advice would be great....

Can i an Airport Express / Extreme to Output data through it's Ethernet port...?

I have an ASDL router on it's way and want to make the iMac wireless. For the price of an origonal Airport card i could (nearly) get an Airport Express / Basestation and would be able to use it with future Apple hardware purchases......

The idea being, connect the iMac to the Base Station through it's ethernet port and recieve internet / network though that.

does this sound possible...?

You'll need another basestation of some description at the other end to make the asdl modem wireless as well, but yes you can use the airport to make your imac wireless - I use one to connect my playstation to online games....

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The Airport Express (the one that plugs into the wall socket) has a single Ethernet jack.

Are you talking about getting two wireless routers, the Airport Express and another, and using the Airport Express as the "wireless" card for the iMac?

This will work if you have an Apple Airport Extreme base station. Apple says it will not work with third party wireless routers. YMMV.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108038#2

"Question: Can AirPort Express act as a bridge?
Answer: AirPort Express can act as a bridge in three different ways:
...* If it is set up as a WDS remote or relay station, it can bridge the wireless network to wired clients...."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108040

d.f

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
The Airport Express (the one that plugs into the wall socket) has a single Ethernet jack.

Are you talking about getting two wireless routers, the Airport Express and another, and using the Airport Express as the "wireless" card for the iMac?

This will work if you have an Apple Airport Extreme base station. Apple says it will not work with third party wireless routers. YMMV.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108040

yes. the Airport Extreme Base Staion - though it's Ethernet 'out' port becomes wireless 'reciever' for my iMac.

When i get my Powerbook soon i'd hope i can also transfer files to the iMac and use it as a server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.