Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha everyone,

I have experienced a rather severe networking issue over the past two days. I have a rather old D-Link DI 624 10/100 & 802.11G router and a newer 5-port 10/100 switch that I use for my home network. Over the past two days, I have noticed a drop in connectivity with the outside (ie., internet) while maintaing connectivity on my internal network. I was able to ping all host on my network, but couldn't even ping my ISP.

I then contacted my ISP to ascertain the current Road Runner network picture and found out that no disruptions were occurring in my location. The network technician then sent a series of pings to my cable modem. When the router was taken off the cable modem, the tech was able to successfully ping my cable modem, but when the router was connected, even with nothing hanging off the router, she was unable to ping the cable modem - she kept getting timeouts.

I then connected two of my computers to the router, and the router back to the cable modem to conduct more pings. I was able to ping across the network, but once again, was unable to get outside my router. I triple-checked all of my settings, which had not been changed since the network was working optimally, and could still find no reason for the network disruption.

After having thus determined the router is at fault, I disconnected everything from my switch except for my iMac (on which I am currently typing this post), then connected my switch directly to the cable modem. I am now on the net, but not behind a router - a bit reckless, if I say so myself. I plan on purchasing a new router, but would rather just get the other one working again.

My router provides NAT and I limited the IP pool to the number of NICs in my house (I reserved the IP addresses needed). On the wireless side, I had WPA (Windows XP can NOT do WPA2 - only my Macs can do it). I'm not entirely sure if I have any other option but to purchase a new router.

My question is really this. Has anyone else experienced an issue such as this before? I really wanted to get the Airport Express, but I'm not sure if my wife will go for it. Why would I have internal network connectivity and NOT have outside network connectivity? Lastly, what would cause ping timeouts from my ISP to the cable modem when only the router is connected to the cable modem, not not otherwise? This is really making my head swim, as I can't wrap my brain around this one.

All assistance and help is very much appreciated,

HawaiiMacAddict

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha again everyone,

I'm definitely hearing the Twilight Zone music now. I decided to do some more checking and now the network is back up! I think I'll still end up replacing my router, but this is really getting strange. I looked at the ping results, and they are off the chart at times. I saw 58016ms (that's the max thus far) - no lie! I've never seen, or heard of, it being that slow before. I just want the network to work normally, but there's some good deals to be had at CompUSA - I'll be there tomorrow.

HawaiiMacAddict
P.S. I'm typing this on my MacBook Pro while using the Airport adapter :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.