1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Help with SAMBA Mount: Win 7 Client

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by jasonvp, May 20, 2013.

  1. macrumors 6502a

    jasonvp

    #1
    Hey gang -

    I'm having a bit of a problem with 2 of my machines at home. The first: a Windows 7 client. The second: a Mac Pro running 10.8.3 and exporting a shared directory via SAMBA. The Windows machine can easily mount the share with proper authentication. I can open files, write to files, etc from the Windows box.

    However, when I try to copy over some reasonably large (~10GB or larger) AVI files from the Windows client to the Mac, I inevitably get a "Network Error" on Windows. It tells me it can't access the target drive properly and it cancels the copy.

    When that happens, the mount is still in place. And I can still see things on the Mac from the Windows box.

    For what it's worth: the Windows box also has a Linux-based NAS SAMBA-mounted as well. I can write the same files to the NAS without any hiccups. So this appears to be something local to the Mac. Unfortunately, the system.log isn't helpful as nothing's coming across at the time of the error.

    Any ideas? Thanks!

    jas
     
  2. macrumors 6502a

    #2
    Make sure to go into Networking on the Mac, under Advanced, then WINs, and set a workgroup name. Preferably the same the Windows box has.
     
  3. macrumors 6502a

    jasonvp

    #3
    I'll give that a go, thanks. From my understanding, Workgroups are generally ignored. The fact that I can mount the drive and actually read from/write to it would seem to back that up.

    But, we'll see.

    jas
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    #4
    Well, I read it again, I missed the part that you could actually mount it. I had issues with a shared on Server and the WinXP client(s) couldn't authenticate, I finally figured out that it was the Server's workgroup.

    So, it may not work at all. :|
     
  5. macrumors 6502a

    jasonvp

    #5
    For what it's worth, I resolved this by working around it. I never did get the file copies via Windows Explorer and the SAMBA mount to work. Even after setting the Workgroup name. So I installed Cygwin on the Windows machine and just scp'd the files over to the Mac.

    Much easier. :)

    jas
     

Share This Page