Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raydonloc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
hello everyone out there, I ran up on this incredible deal at the salvation army. I bought this power mac g4 (digital audio) version. that was the good news the bad news is that i cannot even get the system to power up to see how good a deal that i got. Now i am writing this post on a pc and i have always wanted to try out a mac, and on a pc i know just where to go to get this problem resolved. but as you all know it is not that simple with a mac. What do i need to be looking at ( the simple things) b4 i go out and start buying parts. just so that you now i did make sure that i had a working plug, and made sure that it was set to the correct voltage on the back of the computer. I would really apprecieate the help on this because i am a very amature tekkie and at 40 dollars this is an opportunity to learn alot about a mac.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
At that price I'm surprised if some of the internal parts are not even there. If it's not even powering up it could be multiple things such as bad power supply...

Have you opened it up to see if the HD and other important parts are there?

Nuc

raydonloc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
thanks for being so quick

yes i have looked inside and everything is there including the graphics card hard drive modem ethernet connection, cpu, motherboard, cd drive, ram, and yes even the power supply

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Define not power up, please. Like, you don't hear the chime sound at all? First suspect in my mind would be the power supply, which is pretty easy to replace. If it chimes, but nothing else happens, the next most likely culprit would be either the hard drive or the RAM. If there is a hard drive, you probably don't have an OS installed on it. What I suggest, to test, is to download a live PPC Ubuntu (a type of Linux) disk image and burn it on your PC, then try to boot the mac with that. Ubuntu is free, just google it. Boot from a cd by holding down the "c" on the keyboard as you power the machine up.

Also, make sure that the power button on the front is working (or even hitting the pad; open the computer and make sure that the steel box in the front inside is firmly attached). Document your steps there and then get back to us, and good luck!

EDIT: Also, if you are able to, take a couple pictures of the inside of the case.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
When you turn it on, do you hear a chim. If not then it sounds like you might need to reset the PMU (Power Management Unit). Sometimes if a Mac has been off awhile or gets plugged into a new power source, it the PMU doesn't seem to let the Mac turn on. Not sure where it is on your Mac other than it is on the logicboard/motherboard. What you will do is unplug your Mac, push this button, wait 10 seconds, then plug in and try to start up the Mac.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037 might help

Apple support seems slow so the google cache might help

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cach...u+reset+power+mac+g4&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

raydonloc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
tried what was asked

to ripfrankwhite
the only way thing that i could test was to try to power it up and there was nothing.

to disconap and varmit
there was no chime at all. I also opened up the tower and the metal box was securly fastened to the front of the tower for the power switch, I even loosened the box and tried to manually press the power button agian no joy. can you guys reccomend where i could buy a power supply for this mac, mabey even up the power supply because i am thinking about upping the ram to 1.5 if i can get it started. I have some pc 2100 just lying around but i already know that it will not fit into my mac. do i have to get mac specific ram or can i just go to tiger direct

raydonloc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
to varmit

i also tried to reset the pmu and nothing happened i will also try to get a battery if you can tell me where to get one

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
raydonloc said:
to disconap and varmit
there was no chime at all. I also opened up the tower and the metal box was securly fastened to the front of the tower for the power switch, I even loosened the box and tried to manually press the power button agian no joy. can you guys reccomend where i could buy a power supply for this mac, mabey even up the power supply because i am thinking about upping the ram to 1.5 if i can get it started. I have some pc 2100 just lying around but i already know that it will not fit into my mac. do i have to get mac specific ram or can i just go to tiger direct

I suggest checking the Marketplace threads often, and hitting up a few online places like ebay or mac parts stores (http://www.macsales.com might have something, for example). I do NOT suggest replacing the power supply with something other than the OEM power supply; the one really difficult to upgrade thing on that gen of Powermac is the supply, it's fitted specifically and most replacements will require serious moddings to fit/get the cooling right. You really shouldn't worry about it, I run a two drive RAID, 3 PCI cards, two larger capacity HDs, 2gigs (4 sticks) of RAM, two added fans, and a dual-processor upgrade in my box with the original power supply and have no issues whatsoever...

Also, PC2100 will not work in that mac, it takes PC133 (and only 133, as PC100 won't work either). Your specs are here:

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4-133.shtml

EDIT: You can get a battery at the Macsales link above. You can also try going to a camera store with the dead battery and seeing if they have a similar kind.

raydonloc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
thanks for the info

disconap said:
I suggest checking the Marketplace threads often, and hitting up a few online places like ebay or mac parts stores (http://www.macsales.com might have something, for example). I do NOT suggest replacing the power supply with something other than the OEM power supply; the one really difficult to upgrade thing on that gen of Powermac is the supply, it's fitted specifically and most replacements will require serious moddings to fit/get the cooling right. You really shouldn't worry about it, I run a two drive RAID, 3 PCI cards, two larger capacity HDs, 2gigs (4 sticks) of RAM, two added fans, and a dual-processor upgrade in my box with the original power supply and have no issues whatsoever...

Also, PC2100 will not work in that mac, it takes PC133 (and only 133, as PC100 won't work either). Your specs are here:

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4-133.shtml

EDIT: You can get a battery at the Macsales link above. You can also try going to a camera store with the dead battery and seeing if they have a similar kind.

thanks for the info about the battery and the power supply but i thought that the max on the ram was 1.5 what did you upgrade to get it to recognize the extra memory,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.