Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonmason

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
I have just started playing with Applescript so forgive the simple questions.

I want to set up some scripts that move messages into subfolders and mark them unread - loosely copying the Quick Steps feature of Outlook 2010.

I created a simple script, but had some issues with it so started to reverse engineer a Microsoft sample script - which I fear ended up to be too complicated.

The script I created is below and results in an error "Microsoft Outlook got an error: Can't make current messages into type specifier".

I started off much simpler using some code that others had posted but I got stumped on the very first line:

set selectedMessages to current messages

This line always resulted in an "Expected end of line but got identifier error" - but others are using this statement so I am not sure what is causing this error. If I can get past this I think I can greatly simplify my code below? Thanks.

Code:
(*
	File Message to specific folder

*)

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"

-- get the currently selected message or messages
	set currentMessages to «class CMgs»
	-- set selectedMessages to current messages

-- if there are no messages selected, warn the user and then quit
	if ((count of currentMessages) < 1) then
		display dialog "Please select a message first and then run this script." with icon 1
		return
	end if

repeat with aMessage in currentMessages
		set messageAccount to «class cAct» of aMessage

if ((class of messageAccount is «class Eact») and (messageSender is not missing value)) then

set filingFolderName to "Commercial"
			set matchingFolders to (every «class cMFo» of messageAccount whose name is filingFolderName)
			set filingFolder to make new «class cMFo» at messageAccount with properties {name:filingFolderName}

repeat with aMessage in currentMessages

if filingFolder is not missing value then
					move aMessage to filingFolder
				end if

end repeat

end if

end repeat

end tell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.