Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
IINA got updated with the latest ffmpeg that supports hardware acceleration 2 days ago.

These numbers focus on the difference between hardware accelerated and non-hardware accelerated decoding of HEVC 4K UHD content. IINA is as of now my favourite media player but I have to mention something else. The numbers above do not justify how good of a player QuickTime is in terms of efficiency. Most of the media that I download off the internet are in mp4 container. The lack of customisable controls and horrible format support always bothers me but man QT is efficient when it comes to resource usage. From what I've seen, it typically uses 4-6 times less resource than IINA.

I've noticed some crashes in IINA and abnormal gamma shift(?) causing the image to be unrealistically vibrant from time to time. But apart from that, these macbooks can play 4k HEVC just fine now.

Post your thoughts.

Attachments

• Update.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Reactions: djcristi

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
View attachment 726186

IINA got updated with the latest ffmpeg that supports hardware acceleration 2 days ago.

These numbers focus on the difference between hardware accelerated and non-hardware accelerated decoding of HEVC 4K UHD content. IINA is as of now my favourite media player but I have to mention something else. The numbers above do not justify how good of a player QuickTime is in terms of efficiency. Most of the media that I download off the internet are in mp4 container. The lack of customisable controls and horrible format support always bothers me but man QT is efficient when it comes to resource usage. From what I've seen, it typically uses 4-6 times less resource than IINA.

I've noticed some crashes in IINA and abnormal gamma shift(?) causing the image to be unrealistically vibrant from time to time. But apart from that, these macbooks can play 4k HEVC just fine now.
Having hardware HEVC acceleration in both QuickTime and now IINA (the latter allowing mkv compatibility etc) is seriously awesome.
However, your table suggests that QuickTime is closer to 2-4X as efficient for HEVC decoding compared to IINA, not 4-6X. Is your 4-6X observation based on other videos not listed?

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Having hardware HEVC acceleration in both QuickTime and now IINA (the latter allowing mkv compatibility etc) is seriously awesome.
However, your table suggests that QuickTime is closer to 2-4X as efficient for HEVC decoding compared to IINA, not 4-6X. Is your 4-6X observation based on other videos not listed?
Yes.

Just to watch movies, I usually download low bitrate 1080p from p2p trackers; file size being between 2-5GB. 80% of them are in mp4 container. QuickTime uses about 5x less resource than IINA. For example, a typical 2.5G movie would cost about 30% CPU usage whereas QT takes little more than 6%. I'm taking this estimate from about 50 movies.

Do you happen to know how to get fixed duration forward/backward control in QT?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.