Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avenida

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2016
Yeah! This thread is alive because we have one of the most desktop computers everbuilt.
Mine has had the firmware flashed and it is now 5,1. Also swapped the memory to 16gb, added SSD and replaced the chip (cant remember what I used).

I have been contemplating replacing this desktop but honestly cant see whyI should. It has power to spare.
[automerge]1573824736[/automerge]
I would like to upgrade my video card to get the latest os.

What is recommended?

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Yeah! This thread is alive because we have one of the most desktop computers everbuilt.
Mine has had the firmware flashed and it is now 5,1. Also swapped the memory to 16gb, added SSD and replaced the chip (cant remember what I used).

I have been contemplating replacing this desktop but honestly cant see whyI should. It has power to spare.
[automerge]1573824736[/automerge]
I would like to upgrade my video card to get the latest os.

What is recommended?
"One of the most (missing descriptor) desktop computers everbuilt"? You left out a word. Just curious.

As a previous fan of resurrecting old 4,1 MP's and loading them up as much as possible to eek out every last bit of performance just to try to keep up, I finally gave up and looked at other options that allow me to use the latest technology at modest prices. Since the 4,1 and 5,1 are no longer supported by Catalina, I think it's days are numbered if you are constantly chasing the latest macOS.

You don't say what you do with yours, so it hard to recommend a proper video card, but you can go with a cheap RX560 that is natively supported or a RX580 if you want more performance. Both can be had without taking out a 2nd mortgage to pay for it (and supports Metal).

Brian M

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2019
I had the same problem. Slot 5 is not working. I reseeded the CPU 3 times and still got the error. I'm guessing my connector is damaged. I'm not sure if its worth the pain to purchase a new CPU and start over again. IS there any damage I can do with running it this way?

I do not have any red light errors on my mother board unless I plug in all my ram.

ekotan

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
I've just installed dual 3.46 GHz Xeon X5690 chips in mine and it went without a hitch, thanks to the clear instructions on this thread. Combined with 64GB RAM and an RX580 graphics card, the venerable beast is still a capable workhorse even after a decade, amazing. I'm sticking to 10.14.6 so that I can still run my old 32-bit games and apps.

lfhlaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Pittsburgh
I've just installed dual 3.46 GHz Xeon X5690 chips in mine and it went without a hitch, thanks to the clear instructions on this thread. Combined with 64GB RAM and an RX580 graphics card, the venerable beast is still a capable workhorse even after a decade, amazing. I'm sticking to 10.14.6 so that I can still run my old 32-bit games and apps.
Awesome. I did this to my Mac Pro many years ago now. Unfortunately, the Mobo is starting to fail I believe. The Bluetooth will randomly go off and not function until I shutdown for a short period of time and then boot the computer up. I tried using a Bluetooth Dongle and even that didn't help the issue so I'm assuming the mobo.

I eventually ended up upgrading to the Mac Pro trash can lol for about $1k until I can afford a new M1 Desktop, when they come out, which they are pricing out of consumer range which is frustrating to me.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I eventually ended up upgrading to the Mac Pro trash can lol for about $1k until I can afford a new M1 Desktop, when they come out, which they are pricing out of consumer range which is frustrating to me.

The affordable M1 desktop is the base Mac Mini. If that is not enough, then your next stop will be the base Max Studio at 3x the cost of the Mac Mini. If you waiting for an affordable Mac Pro M2, you are wasting your time.

Reactions: tinycg

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Nice to see yet another upgrade of the old Mac Pro.

I have not posted in a long time as I am busy on bitcointalk. I still have to thank apple and this forum for a lot. I may be getting a Max studio with a 1tb ssd.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2023
Hi Mike,

Ive just done the same as you and successfully upgraded an 8 core 2.26ghz 2009 4,1 to a 12 core 5,1 with two x5690s. It was a tense experience to say the least but it worked first time.

Im only getting 30916 for the multi core score though. How are you getting 32000+ ? Are you somehow overlocking? From those Geekbench stats my MacPro is exactly the same as yours in terms of motherboard and components etc except I have 32gb RAM to your 24gb.

Cheers.
Two lanes of memory instead of three lanes. Add two more sticks of memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.