Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan73

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
good idea - but why are they coming back afte re-booting? That sort of makes it useless.
For all tbhos saying it doesn't work - boot the application again, I had the same issue.

It's how the app was made. The video talks about too.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Apple has removed HiddenApps from the App Store.

It's just another example of Apple abusing their virtual monopoly on iOS software distribution to deny consumers the right to use their bought and paid for computer hardware however they like. :rolleyes:

It should not be Apple's decision what kind of software you can run on YOUR COMPUTER (and the iPad and such ARE computers!) They don't OWN your iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch and they should stop acting like they do. Once they've sold the device it should be out of their hands and a public MARKET like any other publicly available material good.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
What is this about it asking to install additional software from a .de source?

I don't see why people are fixating on this.

Anyone in the world can pay less than $10 to get a domain that ends in .com (or other familiar TLD - like .net).

You shouldn't rely on the TLD of a domain as a security indicator.

.de is the TLD for Germany

I wonder if Apple will flick the kill-switch on this app?

I would say no.

I don't see Apple using that unless they REALLY have to. If (when?) Apple ever uses it, it's going to end up being bad for PR. Using it for something that isn't actually a security risk would therefore make little sense.

Last edited:

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
:D

Apparently this 'hidden app apphider' is now out, it automatically installs itself on almost all iOS devices and then hides itself. You can see if you have it installed by looking for it on your device - if it's hidden then you must have it. ;)

Here is what the app looks like:

[image hidden]

Also try looking for it on the App store - you won't find it, which of course proves it's all working brilliantly. In-app upgrades will be problematic unfortunately.

Reminds me of that old poem:

Last night I saw upon the stair
A little man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
Gee whiz, I wish he'd go away

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
good idea - but why are they coming back afte re-booting? That sort of makes it useless.
For all tbhos saying it doesn't work - boot the application again, I had the same issue.

This is old news. There is a site (don't remember the name) that does exactly what this app does somehow. It can hide any app, but they come back after a reboot. But it doesn't disable iAds, of course.

It's not useful. I just shove stupid Newsstand, iTunes, and Game Center in the back.

----------

WHAT THE **** APPLE

Leaving those stupid "fake homescreen" apps and deleting first useful app in ages.

**** YOU.

This also disables iAds. I don't think Apple should allow this app, but on the other hand, I want it. Stupid ads.

----------

What else is this app doing that it shouldn't?

No thanks.

Good point; I was thinking the same thing. How the heck did this get on the App Store?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Intelligent German kid then.

Well, he likely stole the code from the older website (still up I think!) that does this. This app seems to work in the same way.

----------

How many default apps are you not allowed to put in a folder - mail and newsstand? My god first world problems here...

You can put Mail in a folder. It's just Newsstand. I don't get what the big deal is. Sure Newsstand is @#$%ing retarded, but it's no problem to shove it on the last page.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Wish it was still there, oh well I guess I'll have to jailbreak, missed out on this one.....

and_its_gone_original.jpg

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Why is everyone saying "hurry and download it before Apple removes it"? Apple approved it. That's how it got added to the store in the first place.
And now it's been removed from the App Store.

... that's why people say that.

:rolleyes:

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
Or you could just make a junk folder.

Sorry, that is an extremely lame workaround. I usually name my junk folder with a foul name in the hopes that Apple logs it when the worthless apps are hidden. It is ashamed (and a deal-breaker for me) that you cannot even dump the Newstand app into a folder.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Damn apple moved really fast on this one. So many crap obvious spam/clone apps stay up there (some even at the top ten list) for days before apple bothers to do something about it and when it came to something which could have hurt them, it disappeared in a matter of hours!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You can put Mail in a folder. It's just Newsstand. I don't get what the big deal is. Sure Newsstand is @#$%ing retarded, but it's no problem to shove it on the last page.

Wow so newstand is the only app you're not allowed to tuck away in a folder? Why such outrage? Geez, if only we had real problems to worry about. :rolleyes:

----------

I don't want them hidden, I want them REMOVED.

Send an email to Tim Cook.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
It's just another example of Apple abusing their virtual monopoly on iOS software distribution to deny consumers the right to use their bought and paid for computer hardware however they like.

BS.

Speak for yourself.

Jailbreak. Purchase a non iOS devise. This is why your comment is BS.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hid all my apps including HiddenApps, now my phone is a desolate, icon free wasteland ...

hahahahaha!!! Thanks for the laugh.

----------

Have you noticed that Newsstand behaves like a folder? Can you put folders inside folders? No.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
getting sick of the Apple "force user" policy where they force you to have certain apps. At least allow us to remove these Apps Apple!!!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Hmm, that is a very nice improvement, it's a shame that the majority of users on Android probably still can't take advantage of something like that.

Also just looked on the Nexus, I see it there, very nice. :D (I had rooted it already so I never even cared to look)

Yea sadly Android 2.x is the Windows XP of Android. Thankfully nearly half of Android users are now on Android 4.x

JskAsx0.jpg

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's just another example of Apple abusing their virtual monopoly on iOS software distribution to deny consumers the right to use their bought and paid for computer hardware however they like. :rolleyes:

It should not be Apple's decision what kind of software you can run on YOUR COMPUTER (and the iPad and such ARE computers!) They don't OWN your iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch and they should stop acting like they do. Once they've sold the device it should be out of their hands and a public MARKET like any other publicly available material good.

Sure, but they do own iOS that is running on your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. Just because you bought the device doesn't mean you own the software on it. You only own a license to use the software. The rights of how that software operates and is [intended to be] used remain with the developer.

----------

getting sick of the Apple "force user" policy where they force you to have certain apps. At least allow us to remove these Apps Apple!!!

Stick them into a folder and forget about them. Simple solution.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
If only there was OS that kept apps in a drawer with only the ones you deem important or useful on your home screen. Oh wait a minute...

But seriously, Apple needs to put some innovation love back into iOS. If they let you hide the iTunes app in restrictions, how hard would it be to add an on/off switch for stocks and Newsstand too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.