Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
The point was that Apple will use a larger font so that the user will have no idea that anything has changed other than the screen sharpness increasing. Think about going from the iPhone 3G's screen to the iPhone 4's. They look identical (the font doesn't look smaller) other than the iPhone 4's screen is incredibly sharp. Same thing will happen here.

My good sir, you misunderstand me. On a 11in MBA or 17in MBP screen, MacOS displays a 12pt font at a physical size of 6.3pt. Even on a 27in Thunderbolt display or a low-res 15in MBP, it is 7.8pt. For a lot of people, that is a major issue, because they can not read this without major eye strain.

You can display your word documents and webpages at 190% to make them legible, but you can not do that for system fonts.
If Apple quadruples the resolution, the 12pt font will be much sharper, but it will still be displayed at 6.3pt.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My good sir, you misunderstand me. On a 11in MBA or 17in MBP screen, MacOS displays a 12pt font at a physical size of 6.3pt. Even on a 27in Thunderbolt display or a low-res 15in MBP, it is 7.8pt. For a lot of people, that is a major issue, because they can not read this without major eye strain.

You can display your word documents and webpages at 190% to make them legible, but you can not do that for system fonts.
If Apple quadruples the resolution, the 12pt font will be much sharper, but it will still be displayed at 6.3pt.
Oh I see (pun intended). You're saying the font size is already too small on some screens. That makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.