Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
What is the difference between the two? Which one produces a better quality rip?

Also, will it a video ripped on "high profile" work on an ATV2? What about an iPhone? Thanks!

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
High profile is a more generic preset. It activates a number of options that allow for better compression. The ATV2 setting is obviously made to push out an encoded file that will utilize options optimized for ATV2. If you are unsure of what you are doing, it is a good idea to use the preset.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
All things left as default, the high profile preset will give you a higher quality encode.

Playing them on an ATV2, you probably won't notice any difference between them, though.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Can someone please answer this question for me?

The ATV2 setting is sure to produce a file that can playback on the ATV2. I have not tried it but it probably reduces frame size to 720p (ATV2 will accept 1080 but it will downsample it to 720). Again, I don't use the ATV2 preset because I like to tweak settings anyways. If you don't know what you are doing, it is best to use the ATV2 setting. The additional benefit of doing so is that the resulting files can also playback on current generation apple mobile hardware.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
All things left as default, the high profile preset will give you a higher quality encode.

Playing them on an ATV2, you probably won't notice any difference between them, though.

+1 on this it is going to depend somewhat on your setup and your eyes.

Encode the same movie using both and see which one you like (doubt you will see a difference).

I use the Apple TV2 preset for movies and i use the hgih profile preset for TV shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.