Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Those are not budget devices tho?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-executive-schiller-denies-reports-of-a-cheap-iphone/

You're going by "analysts" who are 99% of the time wrong. I'm going by the words of the VP of Apple "Apple executive Schiller denies reports of a ‘cheap’ iPhone"

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...nies-reports-of-a-cheap-iphone/#ixzz2YWCBnyl2
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

----------

It's not cheap tho. The nexus 7 is 200 dollars. There are android tablets for 99 dollars. The ipad mini is $329. It's more expensive because it has the luxuriousness to it. I know lots of people that want the ipad mini but settle with the cheaply made 99 dollar tablet. They are usually only semi-happy with it. I don't know anyone not happy with their Apple products and that's the point. Apple is about the end users experience.

For a apple product that carries apples full support the $329 mini is cheap. Im pretty sure you can buy an android tablet for $50 somewhere its still not in the same league as something put out by apple.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
check again, i didn't say s4 is unsuccessful, it didn't meet analysts' expectations, samsung has reduced component inventory order for the s4, at the same time their share hits a nine month low, coincidence? i don't think so.
talking about the plastic body, go read reviews, almost all of the reviewers complained about the plastic body, many people are choosing the htc one over s4 because of its metal body, you know why s4 is still selling so well? it's because of brand loyalty and heavy marketing.
another thing to note is that no one says that the plastic iphone will be sold for a cheaper price, another important ingredient of the unsuccessful recipe.

Thanks for clearing that up, but please indicate how the bad performance of a plastic shell on the s4 predicts the performance of a hypothetical rumored iPhone model with a possibly differently designed, produced and composited shell?

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Pretty naive if you don't think the current product line was initiated by Jobs.

I believe it was initiated by Jobs because the 5 is the exact same phone as the 4s with a slightly longer screen.

Jobs may well have been the greatest visionary of the age, but it is still a very fast moving industry and selling Steve's ideas from 2 years ago is leaving Apple so far behind they can't even choke on everyone else's dust.

Timmy has nothing, so he's continuing to release Jobs' unfortunately increasingly outdated ideas and turning apple into a joke.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Those are not budget devices tho?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-executive-schiller-denies-reports-of-a-cheap-iphone/

You're going by "analysts" who are 99% of the time wrong. I'm going by the words of the VP of Apple "Apple executive Schiller denies reports of a ‘cheap’ iPhone"

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...nies-reports-of-a-cheap-iphone/#ixzz2YWCBnyl2
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

----------

It's not cheap tho. The nexus 7 is 200 dollars. There are android tablets for 99 dollars. The ipad mini is $329. It's more expensive because it has the luxuriousness to it. I know lots of people that want the ipad mini but settle with the cheaply made 99 dollar tablet. They are usually only semi-happy with it. I don't know anyone not happy with their Apple products and that's the point. Apple is about the end users experience.

Yes I remember that report, but notice that he did **not** deny it, he basically said that Apple would not compromise on the user experience for the sake of releasing a 'cheap' device.

And btw, people seem to mix between cheap and cheaper. The new iPhone won't be cheap, it will be cheaper. iPhone is already an expensive device, there is a WIDE range of prices that are cheaper than $650, yet nowhere considered cheap.

I strongly believe we will see it, and it will rock a $350 - $500 pricetag.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Actually I bought a Windows Phone :D

It's not only Android phones that have bigger screen sizes. Your comment amazes me. You were probably one of these people that spouted that a 3.5 inch phone was the right size too. If it was, then why did Apple go 4 inch?

The screen size was the only reason I left Apple, and if they want to stay in the game they need to listen to the users. The smartphone market is forever evolving.

Oh, and if you don't want a larger screen you can always stay with your current generation iPhone. ;)

Or i'll just continue to buy Apple phones which won't follow the ridiculous fad of mobiles rivalling the sizes phones from the 80's. 3.5 was fine, 4 is fine, but slightly too high really - I don't want nor need bigger - and it takes a lot more engineering skill to fit power into a smaller device.

Apple don't need to go that route - in fact I hope they reverse the trend back to when it was cool to have smaller and smaller phones. I want minimal amounts in my pockets, not something that rivals my iPad mini for size and looks like I'm holding a serving tray to the side of my head when I talk on it thanks. But for those that do, there are plenty of options.

Thinner and smaller for me.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
Thanks for clearing that up, but please indicate how the bad performance of a plastic shell on the s4 predicts the performance of a hypothetical rumored iPhone model with a possibly differently designed, produced and composited shell?

the plastic iphone isn't differently designed, it just offers more colors.
there's a new greed in people, they are choosing metal phones over plastic phones and that's why i dont think this phone will do well. for example, s4 isn't doing as expected, some people also complained about plasticy body of lumia 920, optimus g pro couldn't do well....how much proofs do you need.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Really, I think it would be the other way around, where they look at the idiot that paid twice as much (or whatever the difference is) for the expensive iPhone that is more fragile, doesn't come in colours and doesn't offer any additional functionality over the cheaper version. Now that would be pretentious.

The iPod Shuffle is a tiny and lightweight mp3 player that can clip onto your collar, it doesn't sport a screen and the battery life is great. You can describe each of Apple's products in this way without ever using cost or price as a major or minor differentiator - product positioning and product differentiation 101. No one would suggest the iMac is the budget Mac Pro. Apple doesn't do cheap products, they create products with very different feature sets and sell them at different prices and they're all still quality products that command a premium (for their segment) price. It's a matter of perspective. Ask one team to build a cheaper iPad, ask another team to build a smaller iPad - how different will those two tablets be when they come off the assembly line?

Gee, I have some land I want to sell to you.

gingerbloke

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
the plastic iphone isn't differently designed, it just offers more colors.
there's a new greed in people, they are choosing metal phones over plastic phones and that's why i dont think this phone will do well. for example, s4 isn't doing as expected, some people also complained about plasticy body of lumia 920, optimus g pro couldn't do well....how much proofs do you need.

"the plastic iphone isn't differently designed"

It really is - it's plastic, has colours and a new design. Please Google this: "define: design".

Thanks.

chicago video

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
chicago
Good option for a lost phone

This is great actually. I will stick to the regular iphone but this is a great backup phone for using it in situations where I'm worried about losing my phone.

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
"the plastic iphone isn't differently designed"

It really is - it's plastic, has colours and a new design. Please Google this: "define: design".

Thanks.

no, you need to check the meaning of design because all of the leaked photos show that the design has not been changed and you still say "it's a new design!"

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
This is what an Apple 'budget' iPhone should look like:

http://www.martinhajek.com/portfolio/iphone-budget/

iphonelite_2.jpg

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
uh, danger? there haven't been any linked risks between the external antenna and danger. the source of any potential danger remains the same -- holding a cellular radio next to your head. not the antenna.

Just because there is no study published on the bare metal antenna and any dangers it may pose doesn't mean that it doesn't pose any danger. Was cigarette smoke non-cancerous before studies were published?

My point is that we don't know whether the bare metal antenna is dangerous. However, we know for a fact that a higher level of radiation gets transferred into the body when touching a bare metal antenna.

I'd rather not take any risks. For me, I'd rather have a product that didn't look "cool" if it offered better functionality and safety. And speaking of functionality, the bare metal antenna making contact with skin was the cause of the antennagate mess. Had the antenna been on the inside, the same antennagate problem would have never happened.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
'Proper sized' is really just an opinion. Many folks are just fine with the size Apple is producing. If you aren't then perhaps it's time for you to buy something else that is your proper size

You presume that the 4 or even 4s would still be for sale when the next iPhone releases.

Well those people still using a 17" monitor or a 15", you get used to screen sizes but when you get to work on something bigger it's funny how suddenly the old one seems so small! I don't think people would jump over a larger sized screen iPhone to grab an iPhone 5, having used them both side by side the screen just feels small.
I won't get anything but an iPhone and I really don't need to upgrade every year so I'll wait until a "proper" upgraded size comes out. I think the size increase of the 5 was very poor and shortsighted by Apple, thats all.

Bippy

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
I Don't Get The Low-Cost iPhone

I still don't "get" the low-cost iPhone. We've already been told that it is going to still be pretty expensive: about $300 bucks. Who is going to buy it? Geeks like us won't buy it because it's not going to be feature-rich enough. Serious techies want performance, and they are willing to pay for it. So, that leaves the "average Joe" user.

But for the average Joe, there is already a "low-cost iPhone" -- it's called the iPhone 4. You can get the iPhone 4 for $0 with a contract.

Now, I get it: people are saying that the low-cost iPhone will be contract-free. But I think that Americans -- who are still suffering from an eternally sluggish economy -- would rather commit to a contract and spend $0 than spend $300 for a contract-free iPhone. Frankly, average users don't have $300 bucks to spend on iPhones right now.

The only way I could see the low-cost iPhone working in the U.S. marketplace is if it was REALLY cheap -- like those pre-paid phones that you buy in a blister pack at CVS. $49.95. Apart from that, I'm still not getting it. Anyone out there feel the same way?

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
But for the average Joe, there is already a "low-cost iPhone" -- it's called the iPhone 4. You can get the iPhone 4 for $0 with a contract.

But the iPhone 4 will get dropped the moment the iPhone 5S is released!

The iPhone 4S would take its place at 450$ without contract and 0$ with a contract BUT as the iPhone 4S is still using the outdated Dock Connector and even the entry level iPod Touch has now a 4" display (exactly the same one as the iPhone 5 is using, so also not only bigger screen but better screen) so it wouldn't make any sense to sell the iPhone 4S when even the cheapest iPod Touch has a nicer screen.

That's why instead of selling the iPhone 4S at 0$ with a contract, Apple will sell the plastic iPhone!

blouis79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
Not sure that Apple would really want to release a plastic backed phone as a separate design. The current strategy of keeping older models alive when their cost of production is low makes more sense, since it requires no new tooling or manufacturing expertise or support training. This strategy is completely different from every other manufacturer, who support higher ongoing costs in designing and supporting a multiplicity of new models.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Not sure that Apple would really want to release a plastic backed phone as a separate design. The current strategy of keeping older models alive when their cost of production is low makes more sense, since it requires no new tooling or manufacturing expertise or support training. This strategy is completely different from every other manufacturer, who support higher ongoing costs in designing and supporting a multiplicity of new models.

Buy they needed a device with Lightning and if possible also 4" screen to have less fragmentation (like accessories made to use the dock/lightning connector of the device) but there wasn't one.

So they had to create a new device.

The additional benefit will be visible the moment the iPhone 5 would have to drop to 450$/free with contract (When the iPhone 6 is released in 2014).
The thing is more expensive to make, due to the glass inserts in the case and then there's also the problem with the anodizing process -> Scuffgate.

When you're selling a cheaper product, you don't want it to have the highest manufacturing cost of your lineup - because Apple will make sure that the iPhone 5S and especially the iPhone 6 won't have this problem.

This year, Apple will sell the new plastic "iPhone 4S" because it will feature Lightning and the 4" screen, next year Apple will sell a plastic "iPhone 5" because a regular iPhone 5 would have a much smaller margin.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
So have we officially moved from "Plastic phones are garbage" to "plastic phones are amazing"? I know it's inevitable.

Originally Posted by Bippy View Post

There's more to the world than the US. The 5 here in mexico is about 825.00 (or more) us. The 4s is over 700.00 us. The 4 is up close to 500.00 us. In countries like this these are NOT budget phones by any stretch especially based on the MUCH lower income here. If apple wants to have any kind of market share they need something people can afford. 90% of the people make about 500.00 us amonth and less., 50% a couple hundred or less.

OUR apple prices are HIGHER than the US , I go up north to buy but not everyone can.

This is from 2012

In Mexico, Android’s share of the smartphone market has zoomed from 19% to 37% in a year. In Brazil it’s gone from 20% to 47%.

At the same time, iOS market share grew from 2% to 6.2% in Brazil, but actually declined from 8.6% to 4.7% in Mexico.

http://bgr.com/2012/10/02/apples-big-headache-in-emerging-markets/

Who doesn't think apple's idea is to try and make headway in markets like this? Android, phones like the galaxy ace, are what people here can afford.

Last edited:

Fairthrope

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
This year, Apple will sell the new plastic "iPhone 4S" because it will feature Lightning and the 4" screen, next year Apple will sell a plastic "iPhone 5" because a regular iPhone 5 would have a much smaller margin.

So you think it would be better to build 5" iPhone Grand on this new plastic chassis rather than enlarging an aluminum chassis of iPhone 5?

Psyko

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
High quality photos of a low(er) quality device. Irony much?

Though I am undecided as to whether it was a good choice to use cheap exterior parts compared to a high quality outer and a tad slower internals. Like how they kept selling the iPad 2 parallell to the iPad 3.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
So you think it would be better to build 5" iPhone Grand on this new plastic chassis rather than enlarging an aluminum chassis of iPhone 5?

Quotation marks, not inches.

I meant a plastic version of the iPhone 5, not an iPhone with a 5 inch screen.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
Or i'll just continue to buy Apple phones which won't follow the ridiculous fad of mobiles rivalling the sizes phones from the 80's. 3.5 was fine, 4 is fine, but slightly too high really - I don't want nor need bigger - and it takes a lot more engineering skill to fit power into a smaller device.

Apple don't need to go that route - in fact I hope they reverse the trend back to when it was cool to have smaller and smaller phones. I want minimal amounts in my pockets, not something that rivals my iPad mini for size and looks like I'm holding a serving tray to the side of my head when I talk on it thanks. But for those that do, there are plenty of options.

Thinner and smaller for me.

Apple doesn't have to make the phone look like a phablet, and I agree the 4 inch iPhone 5 is narrow looking. They could get away with a 4.5 or 4.7 inch phone and still make it comfortable to hold in the hand, and not look like a serving tray :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.