Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dsking85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I noticed that sometimes when an app is loading after selecting it from the app store, the icon is very high res when it has the loading bar. After the app loads and installs, the icon makes a noticable shift to a low res version. It is definitely not because the icon is grayed out, you can visibly see the switch from high res to low res. Anyone know how to fix this? No idea why an icon would show in high res then switch for no reason. Thanks!

if anyone wants an example, AT&T MyWireless does it. Try it for yourself!

Dsking85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
nobody's gonna try? I figured this would be annoying for other people who just dropped cash on a phone with such an awesome display

fuzion

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2010
nobody's gonna try? I figured this would be annoying for other people who just dropped cash on a phone with such an awesome display

Perhaps it has something to do with the iOS loading bar overlay; it's obviously upscaled like the rest of the included icons.. Then when it goes back to the developers icon it looks like crap?

Dsking85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Perhaps it has something to do with the iOS loading bar overlay; it's obviously upscaled like the rest of the included icons.. Then when it goes back to the developers icon it looks like crap?
Well that doesn't really make sense. If they have the high res icon to use during the loading process, why not just use it for the regular icon as well. I don't think apple makes a high res icon for the apps to use exclusively during loading.

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Most people aren't going to care if their icons are HQ. Why? Because they are just icons.

As long as photos, text, and App interfaces optimized for the extra resolution are displayed accurately, everyone's happy.

Well...except you.

javaski

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Most people aren't going to care if their icons are HQ. Why? Because they are just icons.

As long as photos, text, and App interfaces optimized for the extra resolution are displayed accurately, everyone's happy.

Well...except you.
I also care. As I'm sure a lot of other people do/will. It's the "front-end" of an Application that is seen ALL the time... why wouldn't you use hi-res artwork?

I'm assuming you don't have the iPhone 4 yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.