Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
But I do not understand that iPhone will chande dock connector, iPad mini will change dock connector.. and then they expect to sell during all christmas the iPad with the old dock???

They should update all the line at once!

That's why they will sell mini to full 'dock connectors'..... for $19.99 a piece ;-) Apple NEVER miss a trick..

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yes it will, people will still go for the 'perceived' better, commercially desirable, and identifiyably known brand regardless of it being more expensive.

Do home brands ever sell more than the desirable main brands ?

It's like saying buy wallmart cornflakes instead of Kellogs...... even if they tasted the same, Kellog's will still sell more and at a higher price....

If 'Google' isn't a 'home brand' then I really don't know what is.....

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Total speculation. We have NO IDEA what it would look like, or if it even exists. That's why they're called "rumors", because you assume they're wrong.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
this was in response to the guy who said hed get one for his work:

I would wait until next year when the retina ipad minis come out.

that makes sense: you need something today, but you wait a year because there will be something better. yyyyeaah...

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If 'Google' isn't a 'home brand' then I really don't know what is.....

Apple as a branded product is still more desirable I'd wager ;-)

And google remains better known for its software, (search, android) but not as an actual hardware manufacturer. Remember this is really an ASUS nexus 7 :)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
MacRumors, you're like that guy whispering the ending of the movie to his friends in the cinema.

Which since you're coming here and reading these, I guess makes you the guy begging your friend to whisper the ending to you.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
The iPad mini will sell in even bigger numbers than the current one. I have always felt that the iPad is just a little bit too big and heavy for a tablet. The mini will suit me down to the ground and be a perfect iBook reader. I am guessing it would have a starting price of £250 for the wifi only version.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Apple as a branded product is still more desirable I'd wager ;-)

And google remains better known for its software, not as a hardware manufacturer. Remember this is really an ASUS nexus 7 :)

Really? I would wager Google is better known then Apple is. I'll just Google that for you..... how many people know about Google as a web browser, or even use it in reference to searching for something no matter the search engine they use?
And tie that name with a big TV ad for it's tablet.... which is selling VERY well worldwide and yeap you have a winner.

IF and I mean IF they launch the 'rumoured' tablet then Apple will find it won't be a stampede as they have had before, especially if they price it high which they will have to, unless they change the entire pricing structure of the iPod line. They will get the initial fans queue up for it and then after I would say the sales will drop off.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
The iPad mini will sell in even bigger numbers than the current one. I have always felt that the iPad is just a little bit too big and heavy for a tablet. The mini will suit me down to the ground and be a perfect iBook reader. I am guessing it would have a starting price of £250 for the wifi only version.

Try £280 to £300 plus, Apple NEVER sell things cheaply.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Try £280 to £300 plus, Apple NEVER sell things cheaply.

Really? Apparently, you forget that when the first iPad came out everyone was expecting it to cost just under $1,000. They shocked everyone by bringing it in at $499 and at that point no one else could compete with Apple because they simply couldn't produce a comparable product at a comparable price.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
If the IPhone 5 will have an elongated screen, there is no reason why the imaginary iPad Mini screen should not have the same proportion.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Really? Apparently, you forget that when the first iPad came out everyone was expecting it to cost just under $1,000. They shocked everyone by bringing it in at $499 and at that point no one else could compete with Apple because they simply couldn't produce a comparable product at a comparable price.

Erm, in the UK the cheapest iPad is £329 sterling for the OLD iPad 2, the iPad 3 16GB is £399 sterling, or converted that's $634.82, yeah HARDLY your $499 you get it for....

In the UK the iPad IS considered an expensive toy. So you know here the Nexus 7 16GB is half that price and hence seen as a bargain.

And just for fun, the 64GB iPad 3 with 3G in the UK converted is $1048.57 US

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Erm, in the UK the cheapest iPad is £329 sterling for the OLD iPad 2, the iPad 3 16GB is £399 sterling, or converted that's $634.82, yeah HARDLY your $499 you get it for....

In the UK the iPad IS considered an expensive toy. So you know here the Nexus 7 16GB is half that price and hence seen as a bargain.

Apparently you also don't understand currency conversion either. The proportions are still the same, so my argument still applies. My point was that everyone expected it to sell for much more than where they priced it.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Major design flaw: Tiny bezel at the sides. Not only does it look ugly as hell, but also makes it awkward to hold without planting your thumb on the screen.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It worries me the lack of leaked part for an iPAd mini.

iPhone 4 leaked big time before the launch (you all remember how people said it was a horrid fake at first)

iPhone 5 has leaked like stupid to the point we know all about it now (parts wise)

Ipad Mini. Nothing.........

How could they be so terrible at keeping iPhone5 a secret and yet perfect about iPad mini secrecy?

giardinop

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Why do we have leaked parts for the iPhone (glass, battery, connectors, back panel, camera) but barely anything fot the rumored iPad "mini"? Seems something is odd about that.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Really? I would wager Google is better known then Apple is. I'll just Google that for you..... how many people know about Google as a web browser, or even use it in reference to searching for something no matter the search engine they use?
And tie that name with a big TV ad for it's tablet.... which is selling VERY well worldwide and yeap you have a winner.

IF and I mean IF they launch the 'rumoured' tablet then Apple will find it won't be a stampede as they have had before, especially if they price it high which they will have to, unless they change the entire pricing structure of the iPod line. They will get the initial fans queue up for it and then after I would say the sales will drop off.

Actually I'd take that wager about brand recognition of Apple v. Google, I'd say it's a toss up, especially since Apple in the last several years has been so incredibly visible due to the former celebrity CEO, the escalating stock price, the media frenzy around new products .

Anyway, I more wanted to comment on the last paragraph above: I think Apple will have a 7.85" tablet, I think it will be relatively price competitive (<$300 starting price) and I believe it will be a whole new market segment for Apple that's highly lucrative (short and long term), with +escalating+ sales over a long period (especially if it's available late Oct/early Nov? They won't be able to make enough to cover demand for Christmas).

Just my $0.02, I guess we'll see how it plays out over the next 2-3 months :)

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010

And just for fun, the 64GB iPad 3 with 3G in the UK converted is $1048.57 US

Oh dear, looks like somebody doesnt know what tax/VAT is.

iPad 3 64gb + cellular = £521 in the US, WITHOUT tax.

iPad 3 64gb + cellular = £549 in the UK, WITHOUT tax.

No doubt you'll cry about the extra £28 as well, in which case I'd suggest doing some research on currency exchange rates and fluctuation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.