Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmacj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I am planning on doing some hiking and was looking for a good app to use with my iPhone and apple watch. Anyone have any suggestions for apps they use?

Elmo1938

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
NYC
I use runkeeper. tracks: distance, duration, pace, calories. iPhone has GPS based map wth track shown.

aviddk

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
SW Oregon
I downloaded and made the in app purchase for the USA map for ViewRanger . Just learning how to use it and for the first time this AM used the watch app. Wednesday taking it out for major hike. Going to preplan the hike on the iPhone. Chose ViewRanger because they used it to demonstrate at the Series 2 event.

This afternoon I laid out this week's hike and saved it. I was able to download a large section of the topo maps surrounding the trail for offline use. Wednesday I will follow the route and see how it works on the AW S2.

Last edited:
Reactions: kfury77

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I downloaded and made the in app purchase for the USA map for ViewRanger . Just learning how to use it and for the first time this AM used the watch app. Wednesday taking it out for major hike. Going to preplan the hike on the iPhone. Chose ViewRanger because they used it to demonstrate at the Series 2 event.

This afternoon I laid out this week's hike and saved it. I was able to download a large section of the topo maps surrounding the trail for offline use. Wednesday I will follow the route and see how it works on the AW S2.

It hasn't been updated to use the full capabilities of the aw2 yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.