Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
why not?
why would you want satellite radio when you could have a regular radio in your iPod?
i enjoy regular radio more anyway.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Why is this in Current Events?

There are also tons of iPod radio threads...

...and Short Wave? Righht...

:confused:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Feel stupid yet?

bryantm3 said:
why not?
why would you want satellite radio when you could have a regular radio in your iPod?
i enjoy regular radio more anyway.

The eighties called, they said it's time for you to come back now.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
appleretailguy said:
The eighties called, they said it's time for you to come back now.
I want a MacGyver iPod, it can play music and pick a lock at the same time.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
while we are at it...

let's throw in a swiss army knife, an electric razor, a remote car starter/unlocker, cell phone, shoe horn, hair brush, 9mm pistol with 12 round clip, mac os x 10.4, a toaster, six handles, a stun gun, mace, stereo speakers, 802.11 Pre-N ala Belkin, a fullsize foldout keboard, dlp projection of the screen, a lawnmower, camera for video chat, air pump, free money, a kleenex dispenser, virtual pocketPC, a jetpack, cutlery, and a 250 gig seagate drive. oh and for good measure... a never-ending lollipop. mmm, iPodSicle!!!! :eek:

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
cyanide said:
let's throw in a swiss army knife, an electric razor, a remote car starter/unlocker, cell phone, shoe horn, hair brush, 9mm pistol with 12 round clip, mac os x 10.4, a toaster, six handles, a stun gun, mace, stereo speakers, 802.11 Pre-N ala Belkin, a fullsize foldout keboard, dlp projection of the screen, a lawnmower, camera for video chat, air pump, free money, a kleenex dispenser, virtual pocketPC, a jetpack, cutlery, and a 250 gig seagate drive. oh and for good measure... a never-ending lollipop. mmm, iPodSicle!!!! :eek:
Why only 250gb?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I do personally know of a few people who have purchased portable music players other than the iPod because they support AM/FM radio and the iPod doesn't. Personally, I wouldn't mind having AM/FM support.

And i know this is off topic, but I would have loved having Sirius or XM support in the iPod. I would have upgraded from my Mini to a Sirius supporting iPod and subscribed to Sirius.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
anubis said:
And i know this is off topic, but I would have loved having Sirius or XM support in the iPod. I would have upgraded from my Mini to a Sirius supporting iPod and subscribed to Sirius.
I think that is actually more on topic.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
MacNut said:
I think that is actually more on topic.
everyone else is being condescending and mean.
there is nothing wrong with having FM and AM radio. XM is stupid.
i want to be able to listen to the atlanta area NPR 90.1, listen to the Georgia State University Radio 98.5, listen to the classic rock stations 92.9 and 96.1, and occasianally listen to the newer rock station 99.7.
i don't want pre-programmed stations with no people on them. there's no human touch. i don't want NPR from washington DC. i want to listen to John Lemley's Tapestry on sunday night and listen to Prarie Home Companion. XM is too controlled and inhuman. i really dislike a lot of newer technology, and XM is one thing i can't stand.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
bryantm3 said:
everyone else is being condescending and mean...

...I really dislike a lot of newer technology, and XM is one thing i can't stand.

Yes, we are.

My sincere apologies for my participation in that. We were having fun at your expense but it wasn't as nasty as some threads get around here. It wasn't personally abusive... It was just the Short Wave comment that did it for me... just really odd.

Anyway, I disagree & agree with you. XM is a US or North American thing, it would have no appeal to international iPodders. But I also wouldn't want to see AM/FM on an iPod either... I wouldn't be surprised if Apple releases a model like that but I wouldn't buy it.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
bryantm3 said:
everyone else is being condescending and mean.
there is nothing wrong with having FM and AM radio. XM is stupid.
<snipped>
XM is too controlled and inhuman. i really dislike a lot of newer technology, and XM is one thing i can't stand.

Sorry 'bout that, but you did make a request that was pretty stupid if you look back on it. AM/FM is fine, but ShortWave? And then you posted it in the wrong forum (current events isn't the place to dump this).

And I like XM-- like having a giant iPod shuffle in a way. And the music channels are commercial free.

So sorry about what I said but you also did some things that were, well, not quite as intelligent as I bet you could have.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
FM Radio bites. I might as well just put together a playlist of 10 tracks and put it on shuffle & repeat. And it would be commercial-free.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
dejo said:
FM Radio bites. I might as well just put together a playlist of 10 tracks and put it on shuffle & repeat. And it would be commercial-free.
tried listening to other radio stations?

there are radio stations here in atlanta that play things once a month.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
XM radio was always a no go for the ipod, i've said it before and i'll say it again: they're not going to include a feature that ONLY works in america, because it's a worldwide product.

AM/SW radio no because it's always crap reception with a built in antenna (can you see them ever putting an unsightly telescopic antenna on an ipod? nooooo!)

FM maybe, but its not a great asset to something like the ipod. people buy them because they're simple, look great and sound great. they want to be able to carry around their music collections. if they want to listen to the radio let them do it in their cars, or with a bloody radio player...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.