Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I work at CompUSA, and back in the "Laptop Lockup" I found an old Powerbook G3. It's the "PB (Firewire)" edition, with 64MB of RAM, a 400mhz G3, and a 6GB HD. Tomorrow I'm going to ask the manager what the status is on it and what they'd take for it. If it's $500 or less I'm taking it, mostly for ***** and giggles.

They also had some iBooks and whatnot, but they were all the current case design--but I haven't seen one of these PBs in person for some time.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
neoelectronaut said:
I work at CompUSA, and back in the "Laptop Lockup" I found an old Powerbook G3. It's the "PB (Firewire)" edition, with 64MB of RAM, a 400mhz G3, and a 6GB HD. Tomorrow I'm going to ask the manager what the status is on it and what they'd take for it. If it's $500 or less I'm taking it, mostly for ***** and giggles.

They also had some iBooks and whatnot, but they were all the current case design--but I haven't seen one of these PBs in person for some time.

WOW! :eek: Is it still in original packaging?!

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
chucknorris said:
WOW! :eek: Is it still in original packaging?!

Yeah that's what made me notice it. I was so used to seeing the black Powerbook boxes that all of a sudden I see this white Powerbook box with the old Apple logo on it that it just floored me. Hopefully it's in good shape and they left me take it off their hands.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
DO NOT OPEN IF ITS SEALED!... Who knows what it may be worth later on... Nice find though....

Oh, and are we allowed to say sh*t? (As long as its not pointed at anyone?)

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
I dont mean to be...illegal

you could probably toss your manager a hundred bucks and make it "Dissapear", they probably don't even include that when they stock, and it wouldnt be considered an asset to compusa...

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
blaskillet4 said:
DO NOT OPEN IF ITS SEALED!... Who knows what it may be worth later on... Nice find though....

Oh, and are we allowed to say sh*t? (As long as its not pointed at anyone?)

Oh, it's certainly not a sealed Powerbook. It was one that was returned. Now, what's wrong with it is yet to be seen. If it's something minor and they can repair it, I'll take it. Of course, nothing may not be wrong with it at all.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
neoelectronaut said:
Tomorrow I'm going to ask the manager what the status is on it and what they'd take for it. If it's $500 or less I'm taking it, mostly for ***** and giggles.

That's the same powerbook I use at work every day (w/512mb RAM and a 40gb HD). It's still a very capable machine for everyday-type tasks. Tiger runs like a champ (except when trying to run too many widgets at once, or watching h.264 video.)

Nice find.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Flowbee said:
That's the same powerbook I use at work every day (w/512mb RAM and a 40gb HD). It's still a very capable machine for everyday-type tasks. Tiger runs like a champ (except when trying to run too many widgets at once, or watching h.264 video.)

Nice find.

The RAM isn't going to be too much of an issue (Hell, I may take it up to a gig if I can.) but are there any simple HD installation guides?

chopsuey158

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2004
USA
I mayyyyy be able to get one in decent condition for you. It is my Dad's and he is out of town so I'm not sure yet... It is a powerbook G3, 6gb hard drive, and the other specs I can't remember off the top of my head. It comes with both a cd-rom and a zip drive (you can trade them out). I'm pretty sure he would take 500 for it, but than again it may not be quite as fast as the one you described and I can't guarantee what he would say... If you're interested email me (fuego15@comcast.net).

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Well, it goes like this. I offered the manager $349 and he said that'd be fine, so I went to take a look at it and wow, it's in like-new condition. The flap on the back that covers all the ports doesn't snap on anymore, but that's about it as far as condition.

However, no power disc/supply/whatever. I am a sad Apple fan right now. Ah well, looks like it will be doomed to spend it's life back in the lockup again.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
They had a gaggle of G3 iBooks too, as I saw two 600mhz models and I believe towo 700mhz models, but they're coming up in the computer as $999. Screw that.

I just wanted that PBG3 because it looks so damn awesome.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
neoelectronaut said:
Well, it goes like this. I offered the manager $349 and he said that'd be fine, so I went to take a look at it and wow, it's in like-new condition. The flap on the back that covers all the ports doesn't snap on anymore, but that's about it as far as condition.

However, no power disc/supply/whatever. I am a sad Apple fan right now. Ah well, looks like it will be doomed to spend it's life back in the lockup again.
Should be easy enough to get an adaptor third party -- get the boss to knock another $50 off -- if it is the Firewire model, an apple "Yo-Yo" adaptor should work (but check th evolatges before you try...)

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Yeah, but I think I'm going to back out of the deal regardless. Once I spend $30 on the power, $200 on RAM, and another $200 on a HD, I may as well just get another iBook. Maybe it was the Apple geek in me coming out, but I guess I really don't need it.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
That is the Pismo and it is the most beautiful computer EVER made. This laptop and its relatives (the Wallstreet and Lombard) are still being used in TV, movies, and print ads because of its unique design and gorgeous looks. The shape, the colors, the textures, everything was perfect. It belongs in a museum as much as on a desk.

</lust>

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Winstonp said:
I dont mean to be...illegal

you could probably toss your manager a hundred bucks and make it "Dissapear", they probably don't even include that when they stock, and it wouldnt be considered an asset to compusa...

how is it illegal??

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Don't do it.

Once you own a Pismo, all other Apple laptops will look like dogs to you.

My Pismo is the second love of my life. :)

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
We have a Pismo at work-- it runs like a champ. It is really one of the most solid laptops I have used. It's damn tough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.