Holy **** PBG3!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neoelectronaut, Oct 19, 2005.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I work at CompUSA, and back in the "Laptop Lockup" I found an old Powerbook G3. It's the "PB (Firewire)" edition, with 64MB of RAM, a 400mhz G3, and a 6GB HD. Tomorrow I'm going to ask the manager what the status is on it and what they'd take for it. If it's $500 or less I'm taking it, mostly for ***** and giggles.

They also had some iBooks and whatnot, but they were all the current case design--but I haven't seen one of these PBs in person for some time.

2. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

WOW! :eek: Is it still in original packaging?!

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Yeah that's what made me notice it. I was so used to seeing the black Powerbook boxes that all of a sudden I see this white Powerbook box with the old Apple logo on it that it just floored me. Hopefully it's in good shape and they left me take it off their hands.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

that would be awesome if its still in the orignial packaging

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

DO NOT OPEN IF ITS SEALED!... Who knows what it may be worth later on... Nice find though....

Oh, and are we allowed to say sh*t? (As long as its not pointed at anyone?)

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

New?! Sweet! It could be worth good money in 50 years. :D

7. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I dont mean to be...illegal

you could probably toss your manager a hundred bucks and make it "Dissapear", they probably don't even include that when they stock, and it wouldnt be considered an asset to compusa...

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Oh, it's certainly not a sealed Powerbook. It was one that was returned. Now, what's wrong with it is yet to be seen. If it's something minor and they can repair it, I'll take it. Of course, nothing may not be wrong with it at all.

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

That's the same powerbook I use at work every day (w/512mb RAM and a 40gb HD). It's still a very capable machine for everyday-type tasks. Tiger runs like a champ (except when trying to run too many widgets at once, or watching h.264 video.)

Nice find.

10. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

The RAM isn't going to be too much of an issue (Hell, I may take it up to a gig if I can.) but are there any simple HD installation guides?

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

12. chopsuey158 macrumors member

I mayyyyy be able to get one in decent condition for you. It is my Dad's and he is out of town so I'm not sure yet... It is a powerbook G3, 6gb hard drive, and the other specs I can't remember off the top of my head. It comes with both a cd-rom and a zip drive (you can trade them out). I'm pretty sure he would take 500 for it, but than again it may not be quite as fast as the one you described and I can't guarantee what he would say... If you're interested email me (fuego15@comcast.net).

13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, it goes like this. I offered the manager $349 and he said that'd be fine, so I went to take a look at it and wow, it's in like-new condition. The flap on the back that covers all the ports doesn't snap on anymore, but that's about it as far as condition.

However, no power disc/supply/whatever. I am a sad Apple fan right now. Ah well, looks like it will be doomed to spend it's life back in the lockup again.

14. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

They had a gaggle of G3 iBooks too, as I saw two 600mhz models and I believe towo 700mhz models, but they're coming up in the computer as $999. Screw that.

I just wanted that PBG3 because it looks so damn awesome.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Should be easy enough to get an adaptor third party -- get the boss to knock another $50 off -- if it is the Firewire model, an apple "Yo-Yo" adaptor should work (but check th evolatges before you try...)

16. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The "yo-yo" power adapter can be found on eBay for $33.

17. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Yeah, but I think I'm going to back out of the deal regardless. Once I spend $30 on the power, $200 on RAM, and another $200 on a HD, I may as well just get another iBook. Maybe it was the Apple geek in me coming out, but I guess I really don't need it.

18. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

That is the Pismo and it is the most beautiful computer EVER made. This laptop and its relatives (the Wallstreet and Lombard) are still being used in TV, movies, and print ads because of its unique design and gorgeous looks. The shape, the colors, the textures, everything was perfect. It belongs in a museum as much as on a desk.

</lust>

19. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I'd say play dumb with your boss and act like it isn't worth much. $350 wouldn't be bad for that, but see how low he'll go.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

how is it illegal??

21. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Seriously? Because it belongs to CompUSA, and he'd be in effect bribing a boss to let him steal it from them?

22. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

The way that the boss makes it "disappear" would determine whether or not it was illegal or not. I believe the discretion is up to the employer, but I have been known to be proven wrong.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

wat if he buys it??

24. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Don't do it.

Once you own a Pismo, all other Apple laptops will look like dogs to you.

My Pismo is the second love of my life. :)

25. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

We have a Pismo at work-- it runs like a champ. It is really one of the most solid laptops I have used. It's damn tough.