Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Two down (Best Buy, Home Depot), many more to go.

Some of the prominent CurrentC supporters:
  • 7-Eleven
  • CVS
  • Lowe's
  • Michaels
  • Sears
  • Shell
  • Sunoco
  • Target
  • Walmart

Oh I'm sure Apple are freely defecating on themselves. Not the power houses of Sears and Michaels?!? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Are they really still in business?

Sears won't take Apple Pay because there is no way they can afford the terminals. They probably have mechanical cash registers.

Heck they changed their corporate logo years ago and still don't have the money to actually put up new signs on their stores!

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Where Apple pay worked here in Coeur d'Alene, ID at Home Depot in the past, as of May 13, 2015, it no longer works and is considered as "card tap" and is denied. The cashier was rather rude about it as well even though it has always worked in the past.

A rude cashier at a Home Depot is nothing new.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Oh I'm sure Apple are freely defecating on themselves. Not the power houses of Sears and Michaels?!? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Are they really still in business?

Sears won't take Apple Pay because there is no way they can afford the terminals. They probably have mechanical cash registers.

Heck they changed their corporate logo years ago and still don't have the money to actually put up new signs on their stores!

They have new terminals actually, the same ones Walgreens uses, but they still have ancient POS systems. Also most major stores are supposed to get new terminals before this October because they have to enable chip card support. With these new terminals they also include NFC.

klo6

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Ohio
Probably in terms of sales, not location. For example, does McDonald's sell a product that costs $30 or $100 or 1000?

Sorry I just now saw your response! But no, not as in terms of sales. As in it's the largest RETAILER. McDonald's is a restaurant, not a retailer.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
They have new terminals actually, the same ones Walgreens uses, but they still have ancient POS systems. Also most major stores are supposed to get new terminals before this October because they have to enable chip card support. With these new terminals they also include NFC.
I've seen some Sears on the Paypass locator, so some Sears may actucally have the contactless enabled. Also Home Depot is no longer on there of course, as Mastercards Paypass hasn't worked since like October 2014. Lately many restraunts like White Castle, Culvers, even a Jimmy Johns are now on the Paypass locator as well.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've seen some Sears on the Paypass locator, so some Sears may actucally have the contactless enabled. Also Home Depot is no longer on there of course, as Mastercards Paypass hasn't worked since like October 2014. Lately many restraunts like White Castle, Culvers, even a Jimmy Johns are now on the Paypass locator as well.
Jimmy Johns? I am curious what kind of terminals they bought. Their sandwiches aren't that great though for me to go in and look. They did just get hacked.

Also Culver's I'm very interested in.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Jimmy Johns? I am curious what kind of terminals they bought. Their sandwiches aren't that great though for me to go in and look. They did just get hacked.

Also Culver's I'm very interested in.
These aren't local to me, as I was looking a certain zip codes on the Paypass locator and they were on there, come to think of it I've seen Little Cesears Pizza and Papa Murphy's on there as well, but none locally of course. Once Home Depot turns it back on I'm sure they will appear on the Apple Pay website hopefully or people will start posting success stores on here, hopefully in the next month that will happen.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
But you don't mind sounding like a jackass admitting on here that you refuse to wave your phone in front of an NFC terminal that has been confirmed months ago to support Apple Pay, on the off chance that it might not work and you'd look stupid for it, somehow? There's a Sprouts I go to that specifically takes Apple Pay, but it declines me every time I use it (still takes the same card in plastic, though.) They told me it fails about half of the time.

What else do you stop yourself from doing with your life due to the risk that people might make fun of you?

What an excessively negative reply! I don't stop myself from experiments in public humiliations, but I certainly do try and avoid adding inconvenience and delay to other customers in line for a selfish experiment. Since we've crossed the ad hominem line, are you the kind of person that cuts to the end of a highway merge to save yourself time, at the expense of the hundred people you pass?

There are many NFC terminals, at home depot and publix, for example, that look like they are going to work, but ultimately decline due to some unpublished backside non-conformance. A NFC terminal is not an Apple Pay terminal. It failed at Home Depot, and it failed at Publix. It may also have failed at CVS.

So, three for three times I tried to use it at a vendor I didn't already know accepted Apple Pay, it did not work. It has, however, worked at Firehouse Subs, and it's pretty great when it does.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
A couple of my friends tried to use Apple Pay at Home Depot and somehow their phone brought up the App Store page for Home Depot. Anyone else experience this? I'm not sure how that's even possible.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Any info on when Home Depot will be re-enabling ApplePay? I'm about to have some tile installed through them and would love to ApplePay for it with my new Discover Card! (22% off)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Any info on when Home Depot will be re-enabling ApplePay? I'm about to have some tile installed through them and would love to ApplePay for it with my new Discover Card! (22% off)
They just turned on Chip & PIN, for both Credit And Debit, but no Apple Pay yet :(, It just says Insert or Slide Card, no contactless symbol.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
They just turned on Chip & PIN, for both Credit And Debit, but no Apple Pay yet :(, It just says Insert or Slide Card, no contactless symbol.

Yea, I just tried it this morning on a small purchase with no luck. The terminal didn't even engage the ApplePay on my phone, so the NFC functionality must be totally switched off. Would sure love them to turn it back on!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yea, I just tried it this morning on a small purchase with no luck. The terminal didn't even engage the ApplePay on my phone, so the NFC functionality must be totally switched off. Would sure love them to turn it back on!
I read that there's a delay in turning it on because it requires different certifications than regular chip & PIN transactions. Whereas before it ran over magstripe so it didn't require any certifications at all.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I read that there's a delay in turning it on because it requires different certifications than regular chip & PIN transactions. Whereas before it ran over magstripe so it didn't require any certifications at all.

I wonder why they didn't get the certifications done at the same time, then. Unless they weren't actually planning on supporting NFC until a ton of people complained when it got turned off?

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I wonder if they've turned on Apple Pay yet? I've seen their terminals have been upgraded, but no contactless payments. :(

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
I haven't seen it turned on yet, either. For a long time after they turned it off, their card readers still showed the contactless payment icon. Now even that is gone.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Home Despot is an interesting entity...

I saw 'Gigaloo' in their store once. Yes, it's 'black oil'...

One time, while waiting for a price check, I was regaled by a neighboring cashier talking about how their assistant manager was buying liquor for the underage employees. Without a 'cut'. Such a nice guy...

I'm not sure that Home Despot can pull it off without fumbling the ball and doing something incredibly ill thought ought...

I sure hope they pull it off though. They sell some stuff that I can't get at the local Lowes store, and it's so easy to spend money with Apple Pay... Cha-Ching!!!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Home Despot is an interesting entity...

I saw 'Gigaloo' in their store once. Yes, it's 'black oil'...

One time, while waiting for a price check, I was regaled by a neighboring cashier talking about how their assistant manager was buying liquor for the underage employees. Without a 'cut'. Such a nice guy...

I'm not sure that Home Despot can pull it off without fumbling the ball and doing something incredibly ill thought ought...

I sure hope they pull it off though. They sell some stuff that I can't get at the local Lowes store, and it's so easy to spend money with Apple Pay... Cha-Ching!!!
Ya know, I have a credit card registered with apple pay and have been to stores supporting apple pay, but it's so ingrained in me that when I pay for something out comes the wallet, rather than out comes the phone.:(

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Ya know, I have a credit card registered with apple pay and have been to stores supporting apple pay, but it's so ingrained in me that when I pay for something out comes the wallet, rather than out comes the phone.:(

And just like the places that now insist on using the chip readers. DOH! Gotta stick it in the slot...

Which, for the level of jerkiness, the ones at Target have to be the worst. At least the ones here. They practically honk at you when it's time to remove the card from the slot.:eek: VERY annoying, and they give you no warning, they just *HONK* and flash 'Remove card'. They are the most annoying things...:mad: And yet another store I shop at has the same POS system terminals, and they don't behave so rudely...o_O

But, I hear you. I'm getting better. Now I automatically reach for my iPhone, and when they say 'Not yet.', I give a surprised sound and ask 'When?'...:confused::cool:

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.