Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi All,

I've got two thermostats and a camera that are 2.4GHz only. I upgraded my network to some synology mesh network. It reports strong signals for the 5Ghz bands and one thermostat is within 15 feet of the main station. But from time to time those three devices drop connectivity. I currently have a mixed band network and I remember when I set up the camera I had to turn off the 5 GHz band.

If I would separate the bands on the same network. So Philly (5GHz) and Philly (2.4GHz) would they still all be recognized in the home app with all the other devices and be controllable by the iphones etc? OR does the home app consider those two separate networks?

Any other thoughts? Im confused in that if I get excellent 5GHz reception shouldn't 2.4 be even better? I always understood 5GHz less range but higher output and 2.4 more range less output...

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Philly

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
2.4GHz may have more interference.

You can run Wireless Diagnostics on a Mac and look at what other devices are using that band, and what the S/N ratio looks like:

There used to be a Utilities option under the Window menu. I don't know if it's still there on whatever OS version you're using. A Scan will show what's using the band. Performance shows graphs.

Reactions: Meuti and b17777

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
@stumpy Blokeperfect... No I agree... Everything I can keep on the 5Ghz I will. I'm even annoyed I will need to look at a separate wifi network listed

@chown33. Thank you for that idea. I remember the tool, I just never used it.. New adventure awaits :)

Thank you to both for the help.
Philly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.