Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steviem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
So I have a few domains that I don't use yet and one in particular that I'd like to use for a bit of blogging.

I also want to go away from Google 'looking after' all of my email/calendaring/contacts. I have a Dell SC440 which I'm actually using as a Mac, but this is where I come to my point.

What I want is the following:

-Email, Calendar and Contact sync between my Mac, iPad and eventually iPhone or iPod Touch.
-Hosting 3 sites, one of which being more used than the others.
-To be cheap to run (either at home or if hosted, not expensive)

I have a static IP at home, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

One thing I just saw was this: http://www.bigoffers.co.uk/product.php?product=BAREBONE-001

Which if given 2GB RAM and a 500GB or 1TB drive would do the job pretty well, and more energy efficient than the SC440 I have (hopefully).

Although, if I'm going to be moving to America later this year or early 2011, I don't really want to be thinking about relocating my hardware. Most of my stuff will be sold apart from my iPad, the drives with data any other small electronics I can take in my bags.

Any good/cheap ideas please?

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
hosting your own email is more trouble than it's worth. Most hosting sites will host email for you when you sign up with them. I'd go find a reliable host for your 3 domains and let them take care of it.

That is, if you really want to get away from google. It's certainly a personal decision, but I find that, between Dropbox and Google, I can have my email/calendar/contacts and any important files synced between my mbp and iPhone with no issues and very little setup. Hosting your own mail/contacts/calendar server or even having it hosted for you will probably add quite a bit of headache if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Either way, stay away from hosting something at your house. Especially if you're moving in 6 months.

timbos

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Ok, squarespace looks good for the web hosting. Does anyone have good email/calendar/contact hosting?

If you've got a VPS, Davical is a calendar hosting solution that you can install yourself. I'm syncing my iPhone, iCal and Mozilla Calendars with it rather nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.