Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Ok, I'm pretty sure this was not possible on Mountain Lion and I think it's probably enough reason for more than one to upgrade to Mavericks.

The thing is, with Mountain Lion I had to keep my MBA lid open for the streaming to work. If the lid was closed, the playback would stop and the computer's library would't appear on the AppleTV.

Now, with Mavericks the computer's library can be loaded and movies and other stuff (including photos) can be streamed even when the computer is sleeping and with the lid closed.

I think this is a great addition, I had been wishing for something like this to happen for a long time.

I also don't think this has been posted anywhere.

And, if this was possible before Mavericks please excuse me, I found out today by accident. But I can tell you that I'm pretty happy about this :D

For the sake of it, my MBA is a Mid-2012 and the Apple TV is a 3rd Gen and I do the streaming wireless through an Airport Express.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nice find! I have not seen this mentioned in any of the reviews. This will be a big help for my setup streaming music to the ATV.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I was quite surprised to find I could still access the MBA drives from my iMac when the lid was down! Didn't know whether this was the new MBA or Mavericks

netsped

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
It definitely is a new feature. It will even wake up an external hard drive when needed.

The only thing I noticed is that my main library (quite large) will load slower on the ATV... but once it is loaded, there's no difference.

On a small library there shouldn't be any difference.

Another thing I found out is that you can't open itunes, start a movie on the ATV and then close the lid. The playback will stop.

You need to open itunes, close the lid and then load the movie on the ATV.

There must be some different function on itunes that gets activated when the lid get closed or something like that. There's definitely room for improvement.

Nevertheless, it's a nice addition.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The only thing I noticed is that my main library (quite large) will load slower on the ATV... but once it is loaded, there's no difference.

I just tried it out on my 2013 MBA with a 1,200 song library and it seemed the same speed as running with the machine awake. So yeah... must be your library size.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I just tried it out on my 2013 MBA with a 1,200 song library and it seemed the same speed as running with the machine awake. So yeah... must be your library size.

I think it has to do with it being on an external drive (USB3). It might work at a lower speed to prevent excessive processor use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.