Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Does anyone use Alexa and a HomePod? I’m wondering if lights like the Phillips hue, and switches like Kasa, can be used with both at the same time?

I already have Alexa, I don’t want HomePod’s in every room, but it might be nice to be able to use either to turn the lights on and off, etc.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Yes, I’ve got both. And they both work fine together. They basically have nothing to do with each other.

I guess the question was more about the other devices, will they allow a connection to Alexa and the HomePod at the same time? That way depending on which room I’m in, I can use one or the other to control the same devices

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I guess the question was more about the other devices, will they allow a connection to Alexa and the HomePod at the same time? That way depending on which room I’m in, I can use one or the other to control the same devices

Yes. I use various devices to control different kit (lights, thermostat, TV)...iPhone, Apple Watch, Echo Dot, HomePod.

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Yes. I use various devices to control different kit...iPhone, watch, echo dot, HonePod

I think what you’re saying is it will work, but when you say you use various devices to control different kit, I want to control the same exact device, with two different services. So I want the same light bulb to work with Alexa and with the HomePod

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I think what you’re saying is it will work, but when you say you use various devices to control different kit, I want to control the same exact device, with two different services. So I want the same light bulb to work with Alexa and with the HomePod
Yes, this works just fine. As an example, I just purchased two HomePods to use as a surround sound system in my living room. I've always used Alexa for light control and now I can control most of those lights with Siri as well, if I so choose.

Some of them, however, don't seem to be HomeKit compatible (I'm still figuring this out) so I just stick with Alexa more often than not. I also have a Nest thermostat that isn't HomeKit compatible and I don't feel like replacing that so Alexa will stay.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I use both to control lighting, smart plugs and my Logicircle 2 camera abd they work fine together with no issues
Yes, this works just fine. As an example, I just purchased two HomePods to use as a surround sound system in my living room. I've always used Alexa for light control and now I can control most of those lights with Siri as well, if I so choose.

Some of them, however, don't seem to be HomeKit compatible (I'm still figuring this out) so I just stick with Alexa more often than not. I also have a Nest thermostat that isn't HomeKit compatible and I don't feel like replacing that so Alexa will stay.

Thank you

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

Indeed and that’s what I do. I use both Alexa and HomePod to control lights, power and thermometer.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Siri, Alexa, and Google can all control your lights and the others know the status of your lights and can control them even if you just controlled them with another device.

You could say: Hey Siri, turn on the bedroom light. Alexa, make the bedroom light red. Ok Google, turn off the bedroom light. Hey Siri, is the bedroom light on?

...Siri would know that the lights are off even though the last thing you asked it was to turn on the lights. None of these assistants interferes with the other. They can individually act on the lights and the others all know the current status and can pick up where the last device left off.

I have a HomePod and a Google Home in the bedroom. Works fine.

Last edited:

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I bought two Homepods for music and home control. Music has been fine but the home control side has been somewhat lacking, as has Siri as a smart assistant. A few months ago I bought an Echo Dot to try; now I have an Echo Plus, an Echo, two Echo Spots and the original Dot. Alexa has improved significantly while Siri seems to have stagnated. Still use the Homepods for music, though and - to answer the original question - I can use either Siri or Alexa to control my lights.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Alexa also is compatible with a lot more home automation devices. Apple has been getting more, but still way behind, which why you have people using Homebridge. I think Tplink devices will be Homekit compatible by end of Q1, but others need to follow.

Alexa can also play SiriusXM, iTunes, Radio.com and other players straight from the device, where Homepod can not. I know you can still do it from your phone, but totally defeats the purpose of a smart speaker....

Apple just needs to step up their game, as it is not that hard to do these things, as they already have a great sounding speaker now make it a great smart speaker too, which both of those is the whole point of a smart speaker.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I bought two Homepods for music and home control. Music has been fine but the home control side has been somewhat lacking, as has Siri as a smart assistant. A few months ago I bought an Echo Dot to try; now I have an Echo Plus, an Echo, two Echo Spots and the original Dot. Alexa has improved significantly while Siri seems to have stagnated. Still use the Homepods for music, though and - to answer the original question - I can use either Siri or Alexa to control my lights.

I mean, if you buy products that aren’t compatible with HomeKit, of course it’ll be lacking. I have 29 lights from Philips Hue and Nanoleaf, 2 August locks, a Lyric thermostat and half a dozen Eve power outlets and door/window triggers and everything works flawlessly with my HomePod.

Now, with Shortcuts, HomePod does even more. When I wake up, I say “Hey Siri, Good Morning”, my lights turn on, my home’s starts heating, my TV turns on, my HomePod tells me the weather, and then starts playing live NBC News on TuneIn. I also use it to check off items I’m trying to make a habit of in Streaks: “Hey Siri, I made my bed”. Siri: “Done!” and it’s checked off as done in the Streaks app.

I have a GoogleHome but I can’t see anything useful that it does that HomePod can’t do with Shortcuts.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
That is the problem, Homekit is not compatiable with enough products, where Alexa is compatible with about everything. No excuse for that in this day and age and Apple needs to step up its game. And if it is only being sold as a speaker to listen to Apple Music, that is a very tough sell. It has to integrate with other things people listen too, like Sirius, iTunes, etc... like I stated above. Otherwise it is one dimensional and can not compete in the marketplace.

Amazing how Siri started it all and how Amazon and Google drove right past it. Come one Apple, innovate, not like you are lacking the funding!

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Reviving an old thread. Here’s my question…I have 3 Alexa devices and love to use them as a sound system when entertaining or while cleaning. I’ll play music simultaneously through the house on all 3 Alexa devices. If I add a homepod, could this be added to that system? I eventually want to switch everything over to HomePods but at $100 each it will be a slow process.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Reviving an old thread. Here’s my question…I have 3 Alexa devices and love to use them as a sound system when entertaining or while cleaning. I’ll play music simultaneously through the house on all 3 Alexa devices. If I add a homepod, could this be added to that system? I eventually want to switch everything over to HomePods but at $100 each it will be a slow process.
HomePods work on AirPlay 2 which the Alexa devices do not support. Afraid you can’t mix and match the two systems together.

Reactions: mikelets456
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.