Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Hey Everyone,
Just thought I'd give a shout-out to AppleCare. Gather 'round for the tale:

About 6 months ago, my iMac, which was previously whisper-quiet, started to get uppity. Frequently, for no reason at all, the fans would rev up like they were jet engines, straining to blast my iMac off the desk with the tremendous force of the exhaust. The rest of the time, it would hum along with a definitely noticeable fan whir. Now, I'm not a complainer, but when I'm studying, I MUST have complete silence. I can't listen to music or anything. So, to have this grating, whiny fan noise not two feet away while I'm in the midst of neuroanatomy or biochem was driving me up the wall. Sure, I could put my iMac into suspend mode, but why should I have to? It was silent when I got it, and I expected it to be that way until the very end of its time.

Enter AppleCare.

I wisely purchased the plan when I decided to go for a "Revision A" Apple product, which my iMac was. I ordered it the day it came out. So, I called Apple when it started to act up. They replaced my fans and logic board. No go. Then they did it again. No go. They did it yet another time. Each time, they sent out a technician to my apartment to do the repair. Each time, the fans would be silent for about 20 mins after booting, which was an improvement over the initial situation, but not good enough. I tend to leave my computer on for more than 20 mins at a time. I'm weird like that.

So, after the third replacement, I called Apple again, and spoke to a very helpful Level 2 technician. He agreed that it was absurd to keep changing the logic board and fans. He arranged for a replacement computer. "OK", I said, "but my iMac had certain BTO specs that I want matched on the replacement: 512MB RAM, 250 GB HD, BT, and wireless mouse and keyboard". "OK", the tech said. "Actually, what we're going to do is send you a more recent open-box model with similar specs. But it's going to be better: 2.1GHz G5 (vs 1.8Ghz), and it has all those options you ordered standard." Being a mac geek, I quickly realized that he was talking about a Rev C! So it's a refurb, big deal, I thought. Better RAM, better graphics, built-in iSight. Free Airport, too! Sweeeet.

Anyway, after a long wait to send back my iMac, and waiting for the new one to arrive, it came via FedEx this morning. Surprise, surprise! It's BRAND NEW! This is no refurb! They even sent along iLife '06! I briefly thought about selling it on eBay as a "new-in-box" G5, but figured it wasn't worth my time (I don't really care about the new Intels for now), and it would be taking advantage of Apple's generosity.

So, now I have a new iMac, and another 2.5 yrs left on my warranty (1.5 from Apple, another year after that with Amex).

Life is good :cool:

--DT

ps, help me decide whether to start fresh, or use the Migration Assistant! Go to this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/186675/

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Thats pretty awesome, did you ever figure out the actual problem with the fans?

EDIT: Oh yeah I'll add my Apple generosity story:

i ordered an ibook and they sent me two power chords on accident but let me keep it.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Apple said:
Thats pretty awesome, did you ever figure out the actual problem with the fans?

No, but I imagine it's splayed out on a dissection table in Apple Headquarters with masked geeks all around, poking at its insides. Let them figure it out.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
2 questions:

1) Does this kind of "exchange" happen often? I've had the logic board of my TiBook replaced twice in the last few months. My AppleCare still has a year to run, so I'm wondering whether I should hold out for the possibility of a free exchange.

2) What happens to your Applecare now? Does the "refurb" iMac inherits the remainder of your Applecare? I seem to recall AppleCare not transferrable.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It's transferrable.

Anyway, they do replacements somewhat frequently, but only if your product has really really really given you hell. I'm talking about 3-5 repairs for the same problem. It's probably more expensive for them to replace 3 or more logic boards anyway.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
DTphonehome said:
No, but I imagine it's splayed out on a dissection table in Apple Headquarters with masked geeks all around, poking at its insides. Let them figure it out.

No. I bet it's gone straight on the refurb store. ;)

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
superwoman said:
2 questions:

1) Does this kind of "exchange" happen often? I've had the logic board of my TiBook replaced twice in the last few months. My AppleCare still has a year to run, so I'm wondering whether I should hold out for the possibility of a free exchange.

2) What happens to your Applecare now? Does the "refurb" iMac inherits the remainder of your Applecare? I seem to recall AppleCare not transferrable.

1) Like Abstract said, you have to demonstrate that you are having the same problem over and over again. If your TiBook logic board fails again, you have a case. But make sure you talk to a higher-level tech, and be nice to him/her. They'll probably accomodate you.

2) Yes, the replacement machine is covered. Also, I believe you can even sell your AppleCare plan if you sell your computer. So it's transferrable.

--DT

clykins90

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
You've got to be one of the luckiest guys I know, wish they would've done that with my iPod. Warranty expires, 2 weeks later, iPod dies :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.