Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Not sure

"has anyone done this with the latest 13" MBP?"

Do you have a MacBook Pro 13"? if so could you look through the vents and see if there is too much thermal paste applied?

vasuba

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Yes this thread is older but It is something to be concerned about. I know when my new MBP arrives its being opened up. Not only is the potential for such a mess inside poor quality control its dangerous for the system itself.

There is a reason why Thermal Paste tubes etc say to only put a very small amount and to make sure it does not ooze over etc.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Please can I ask a stupid question? :eek:

What are the three chips with thermal paste on, going from the edge of the logic board towards the middle?

What fits in the large space next to the DVI connector? I had always assumed that was the graphics card?

I'm not sure about the order, but I believe they are the Intel processor (CPU), a controller chip, and the NVidia graphics card (GPU). Check out the iFixit teardown of the newest MBPs to see for sure.

The large space is for the fan, you can see the fan in one of the other pictures.

Edit: Wow, replied to a post near the beginning of the thread, just realized all the posts on the last page and that this thread is from 2009. Oh well.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Yes this thread is older but It is something to be concerned about. I know when my new MBP arrives its being opened up. Not only is the potential for such a mess inside poor quality control its dangerous for the system itself.

There is a reason why Thermal Paste tubes etc say to only put a very small amount and to make sure it does not ooze over etc.
You're taking a mouse and calling it an elephant. The thermal paste job in the MBP is NOT bad enough to (potentially) void the warranty over. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding himself. It's probably the same people who throw around the word "overheating" when their MacBooks get hot.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You're taking a mouse and calling it an elephant.

If he really wants to the follow the advice of people who opened up their Macbook Pros built two generations ago and potentially void his warranty (or worse) on his brand new Macbook Pro to seek out something that isn't there, it's his prerogative and his $2,000 to waste.

vasuba

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
If he really wants to the follow the advice of people who opened up their Macbook Pros built two generations ago and potentially void his warranty (or worse) on his brand new Macbook Pro to seek out something that isn't there, it's his prerogative and his $2,000 to waste.

Opening your MBP and verifying quality control did its job will not void your warranty. Now if something went wrong with the computer and they opened it up and saw a thermal paste job like that one they could very well try and say the user did that since "Quality control" would never let that happen.

That is sloppy and totally unacceptable work but thats to be expected from China I guess

tommyknockrs

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010

I would be interested in what you find, but it looks like Apple does things differently on the current MBP's after checking out the iFixit pics.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Core-i5-Teardown/2212/1

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Opening your MBP and verifying quality control did its job will not void your warranty. Now if something went wrong with the computer and they opened it up and saw a thermal paste job like that one they could very well try and say the user did that since "Quality control" would never let that happen.

That is sloppy and totally unacceptable work but thats to be expected from China I guess

Just a note, once you remove a heatsink that has thermal paste on it you must replace the paste. Thus your warranty would be voided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.