Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jens_t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Denmark
Hi!

I would like to be able to check my hotmail direcltly from the "mail" program.
I used to use microsoft outlook, but it's nok avalible for OS X. In Outlook, hotmail was intergrated so that was no problem but i dont know the servers when i'm setting up an account i Mail.

hope anyone can help me on this one

-Jens

jens_t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Denmark
No i haven't got Office X and i dont know how to get it..
:(

It isn't avalible on microsft homepage and i dont want to buy the office pack because of that...
i think mailclients should be freeware

jens

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
It appears that Mail only supports the following account types...

Mac.com Account
POP Account
IMAP Account
UNIX Account

I don't have a hotmail account, so I don't know if they follow one of those three (I would suspect that they don't use the Mac.com one). I would hope that you could email their support peoples and have them tell you which to use. I do know that Earthlink uses POP accounts.

Have you checked into other email client software? I attempted to use mailsmith briefly, but find it hard to justify spending $100 for an application when I have one that is fully functional and came with OS X. You can use mailsmith for a limited time for free, so it might be something to try out and see if it works. I'd also suggest trying Eudora, if you haven't already.

The easiest thing would still probably be to see if you can get the info from hotmail about the account type they use for email. If it is one of the above, then all you need to is the incoming/outgoing mail server addresses (such as mail.earthlink.net) and you should be all set.

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
Not going to happen

I have been trying to do this forever and it does not work, It barley works with entourage on OSX, it was better with outlook on OS9. But there is no chance with mail I think this is on porpouse, and am pretty sure that Microsoft will be perfectlly happy to keep it that way. But alas you now have web acsess to your mac.com address and it is also free and you get more storage space than hotmail. Also Hptmail just discontinued support for importing other POP accounts unless you pay! Dump your hotmail account and support mac.

Just a little trick send a blank email to everyone in your hotmail address book including yourself at your mac.com address and then hit add to address book and you have all of you addresses then send a new mail from your mac.com address to everyone(apologizing for the blank email) and tell them to send all future mail to mac.com

Life is good life is sure'nuf good

jens_t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Denmark
I found this on a homepage:

To configure your mail client to check messages on Hotmail, use your full e-mail address, username@hotmail.com. Your mail client must support the HTTP protocol, so that eliminates almost all mail clients but Outlook Express. The address of the mail server is services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp. In Outlook Express, when you change the protocol to HTTP and select Hotmail as your HTTP mail service provider, it automatically configures the address of the mail server for you.

It looks like it is impossible to have a hotmail account on the Mail client but i guess i just have to find an other client, wich supports both OS X and Hotmail...

jens:rolleyes:

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Can't you just forward all your hotmail to another email address automatically?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.