Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Not true. My Verizon unlocked phone works on TMobile network. Needs tweaking but works. Got my daughters Verizon phone to work fine on our Tmobile, SMS and MMS, now just need to tweak mine the same way I tweaked hers, grrrrrr.

I suspect you used a Gevey Ultra S sim interposer for this to work.
Not an unlock from Verizon.

Grumpy232

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
But this thread is about IMEI unlocks by grey market dealers.
You are using what is referred to as a hardware unlock.
Yeah, sorry my bad. I still want to know how these guys do these factory unlocks. I switched from a Verizon phone to a att factory unlocked for tmobile and couldn't be happier.

alealeale

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
how to unlock

Yeah, sorry my bad. I still want to know how these guys do these factory unlocks. I switched from a Verizon phone to a att factory unlocked for tmobile and couldn't be happier.

hi..if u find out how those guys get unlock iphone gsm only with the imei number please let me know i would to enroll to do this ..thanks...

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Yes, but CDMA unlocking only allows the use of International sims in the sim slot, not any US carriers, so if you want a truly unlocked phone which can use any GSM sim, stay away from CDMA iPhones (Sprint or Verizon).

We've seen the iphone 5 on Verizon accept an at&t sim and work.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Just trying to keep us current is all. It starts getting confusing after awhile and becomes hard to keep up.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I'm amazed how it only took a day for this guy to unlock my phone. I was leery about giving him my money but I went to his place and I can see that he is running a computer, iphone repair shop in his garage. There's couple of customers that were there getting their computers repaired so I know he wont run away and take my $100. http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy213/swoosh0217/5d43c551-1.jpg
$100! Yikes. I had my wife's unlocked for $35. Then had 2 others unlocked for the same price. Took less then 3hrs for each one. Found the guy on eBay.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Due to massive competition, prices have come down since July.

I paid $65 for my first grey market unlock on a 4S a very long time ago, now it is about $15 from my source.

Mrlal8

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
no one should be paying more than $7 for an unlock...I just got two iphone 4, one 4s and one IPHONE 5 unlocked

The guys took less than 24 hours....The ebay unlocks surprisingly work

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
NW
no one should be paying more than $7 for an unlock...I just got two iphone 4, one 4s and one IPHONE 5 unlocked

The guys took less than 24 hours....The ebay unlocks surprisingly work

Just like what Dhlizard said... I first reported this back in July and at the time, there weren't too many unlockers on eBAY so the alternative was to look on Craigslist. Back in July prices ranges from $80 up to $140.

Now a lot more people that are able to do it and with so much competition, this means unlockers dropped their prices significantly.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
does these unlock work for phones outside US like in canada?
I have my old iphone 4s and new iphone 5..stuck with rogers
how can i unlock them. I noticed here they charge like 60-140$ for unlocks where as in the US its like 10-20$

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
does these unlock work for phones outside US like in canada?
I have my old iphone 4s and new iphone 5..stuck with rogers
how can i unlock them. I noticed here they charge like 60-140$ for unlocks where as in the US its like 10-20$

No, its different for every carrier.
You can unlock an AT&T iphone for as low as $2-3 per iphone.
On some carriers like Canada, UK and other countries the IMEI unlocks on ebay are very expensive like $100-150 or more.
If you try giving your Rogers iphones imei to an AT&T unlocker on ebay you will just waste your money and time cause it wont unlock.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
No, its different for every carrier.
You can unlock an AT&T iphone for as low as $2-3 per iphone.
On some carriers like Canada, UK and other countries the IMEI unlocks on ebay are very expensive like $100-150 or more.
If you try giving your Rogers iphones imei to an AT&T unlocker on ebay you will just waste your money and time cause it wont unlock.

yea i figured oh well :(

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
im curious as to where the ppl who unlock get their source from? is it legal or illegal? if its not unlocked directly from carrier etc
strange

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Due to massive competition, prices have come down since July.

I paid $65 for my first grey market unlock on a 4S a very long time ago, now it is about $15 from my source.

I tried to get an unclock for Softbank here in Japan but ti was going to be over $200 USD. Apparently the Softbank unlocks have only been available for a couple weeks now or something. But I call BS if all these are only Apple server side unlocks. Shouldn't matter what country right? Why do unlocks for other countries take so long compared with other countries?

Could I use an eBay unlock for my iPhone 4 here in Japan?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Most likely an inside job.
People that work for AT&T that have access to their system to enter IMEI numbers.

This ^^ or even Apple employees

For years, it was nearly impossible to get AT&T iPhones unlocked unless you paid the "no commitment/unlocked" price.
Now, they are the least expensive to get unlocked.

Who would have thought before April 2012 that AT&T unlock options would have gone from nearly the most difficult to clearly the easiest/cheapest to get unlocked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I tried to get an unclock for Softbank here in Japan but ti was going to be over $200 USD. Apparently the Softbank unlocks have only been available for a couple weeks now or something. But I call BS if all these are only Apple server side unlocks. Shouldn't matter what country right? Why do unlocks for other countries take so long compared with other countries?

Could I use an eBay unlock for my iPhone 4 here in Japan?

I doubt its on Apples side.
The carrier that the phone is locked to has to send the request to Apple to unlock the phone.
And only the carrier that the phone is locked to can unlock it. AT&T cannot unlock a Softbank iphone or a vodafone iphone for example. Only iphones that are locked to their network.
So that leads me to believe its done on AT&T's end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.