Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Hi.

Someone was kind enough to offer his 17" apple cinema display for free, so I took it :) Yeeyyyyyyy.

anyway, so now I have a 24" iMac and an 17" apple cinema display.

How can I connect them? the 17" display uses apple's ADC properotory connection.

I know there's a DVI to ADC adapter, but I couldn't find a Mini-DVI to ADC adapter.

Can I connect a minidvi to dvi, and then its output to ADC? I.E., connect 2 adapters together? I know this does NOT work with mini to dvi, then dvi to vga or rca (tried it :S).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Oded S.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The two adaptor solution should work as it's digital all they way through. I believe the reason the Mini-DVI->DVI->RCA solution does not work is that the Mini-DVI->DVI only includes the digital part of the signal and the conversion to RCA requires the analogue part...

Magnus Reftel

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Can I connect a minidvi to dvi, and then its output to ADC? I.E., connect 2 adapters together? I know this does NOT work with mini to dvi, then dvi to vga or rca (tried it :S).
Is it a LCD or CRT display? If it's the LCD, then you can most likely do what I'm doing to connect my MacBook to a 17" Apple Studio LCD Display: combine a mini DVI to DVI adapter with a DVI to ADC one. I even have a DVI switch between the adapters so I can re-route the DVI to a projector, it all works pretty well :D

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Is it a LCD or CRT display? If it's the LCD, then you can most likely do what I'm doing to connect my MacBook to a 17" Apple Studio LCD Display: combine a mini DVI to DVI adapter with a DVI to ADC one. I even have a DVI switch between the adapters so I can re-route the DVI to a projector, it all works pretty well :D

Actually it's the CRT model. (I thought it was the LCD model when I first posted LOL... Oh well, I guess CRT is better for video editing anyway).

Will it still work with the CRT model?

Thanks.

Magnus Reftel

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Actually it's the CRT model. (I thought it was the LCD model when I first posted LOL... Oh well, I guess CRT is better for video editing anyway).

Will it still work with the CRT model?

Thanks.

I would assume that the CRT model uses the analogue pins of the ADC, which AFAIK the mini DVI to DVI adapter does not use. You'd need the mini DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA to ADC adapter, which Apple doesn't sell, unfortunatly =(
A quick googling only turned up horriby expensive a VGA to digital-parts-of-ADC adapter (which is kind of cool in itself, but not what you need). I'd suggest shopping around a bit and also taking a look at the display in case there's more ways to connect to it than just ADC.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
I would assume that the CRT model uses the analogue pins of the ADC, which AFAIK the mini DVI to DVI adapter does not use. You'd need the mini DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA to ADC adapter, which Apple doesn't sell, unfortunatly =(
A quick googling only turned up horriby expensive a VGA to digital-parts-of-ADC adapter (which is kind of cool in itself, but not what you need). I'd suggest shopping around a bit and also taking a look at the display in case there's more ways to connect to it than just ADC.

Na... there aren't any other connections on the thing. It's amaing, that ADC connection transfers power, video, plus USB. there's a single cable on that display. pretty impressive.

I'm begining to think there's no way to get this done...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.