Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
I'm providing "tech support" for an elderly family member, and she keeps right-clicking on things with the mouse by mistake -- just due to dexterity issues. She only ever needs to left-click on things, and is making all kinds of trouble with that right-click button.

The Mouse control panel used to have an option to disable that, but now under Sonoma they've removed that option. Is there any way to do this in software?

Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I do not know of a free software but besides a million other things, BetterTouchTool can re-assign the right-click.
In the attached screenshot, it is set to always act as a left-click. (sorry, not in English and not the most current version)

Price:
- 45 days trial.
- 2 years of updates, then using that version forever: 10$
- Lifetime license/updates: 22$

Attachments

• BetterTouchTool-Right-Click.png
    BetterTouchTool-Right-Click.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 45

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
This is pretty funny, actually -- I jumped right to trying to solve this with whatever software hackery, and overlooked the obvious solution: I just jammed a folded up hunk of scotch tape into the gap underneath the button so it can't click anymore ;)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Here's a solution that can make BOTH the left and right buttons "primary" (i.e., "left") clicks.

Download Steermouse from here:

Now, install Steermouse.
Get to the main screen.
By default, the right button is set for "secondary click".
Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 10.44.00 AM.jpg

Click on the right button popup, and you'll see this:
Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 10.44.53 AM.jpg

Now, where it says "secondary click", choose "primary click" from the popup window, then click OK and close Steermouse.

Now BOTH the left AND the right buttons are the "primary click".

Hope this helps...
EDIT: I'm thinking the app "USB Overdrive" might be able to do this, as well (but haven't tried it)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
OP:

Here's a solution that can make BOTH the left and right buttons "primary" (i.e., "left") clicks.

Download Steermouse from here:

Now, install Steermouse.
Get to the main screen.
By default, the right button is set for "secondary click".
View attachment 2322870
Click on the right button popup, and you'll see this:
View attachment 2322871
Now, where it says "secondary click", choose "primary click" from the popup window, then click OK and close Steermouse.

Now BOTH the left AND the right buttons are the "primary click".

Hope this helps...
EDIT: I'm thinking the app "USB Overdrive" might be able to do this, as well (but haven't tried it)
This is probably the "right" answer, but the 1¢ worth of Scotch tape I jammed under the button worked beautifully, and was $19.99 cheaper :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.