Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
MonksMac said:
God I really hate Solving for Variables by dividing and mult.
Ughh my brain died .

It gets really easy after you practice enough. Anyway, I've found that the people who don't like Macs almost without exception have never really seriously used one. If you ask them why they don't like them, you get stupid replies like "There's no software for them," "They're not compatible!" and "Stupid one button mouse!!!1!!111!!" People who have seriously used Macs for any reasonable period of time can see why they're better. If it helps you any, my dad used to (and sometimes still does) bash Apple and Macs, and yet we now have 3 Macs in the house. He paid for the Power Mac G5 we have. He was still thinking of Apple and Macs like they were the same as in the 80s and 90s when Steve Jobs was gone and Apple made a lot of stupid mistakes. He know realizes that they are truly superior computers.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Tell your parents that one of my colleagues - who is a professor in hydraulics engineering - uses a Mac exclusively. Come to think of it, one of my research partners - who also uses a Mac only - is a physicist who has met and chatted with Stephen Hawking many times. So, some of the smartest people I know use a Mac.

(Of course, I don't; ergo, I'm not that smart. :D I'm just waiting to see what ol' Mr. Jobs is going to say in one month.)

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Tell them that george bush uses a mac, they sound like the type that would vote for bush. (Am I being harsh?) Just a theory, that PC users are the ones voting for him :p

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Nope they didn't vote for Bush we're blue. A guess thats another reason they would say no. I was thinking an eMac would be good but then they only sell it to education. Got to go bye.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
MonksMac said:
Nope they didn't vote for Bush we're blue. A guess thats another reason they would say no. I was thinking an eMac would be good but then they only sell it to education. Got to go bye.

Just tell them that a Mac lasts 3 times longer than the average PC, so they wont have to get a new one as soon. That should get 'em :)

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
MonksMac said:
God I really hate Solving for Variables by dividing and mult.
Ughh my brain died .
just wait until you do some Trig
wat grade ru in?
im in 11th

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Upgrde in Order

I think an upgrade is in order for my computer. Really the processor is from 2001 and everything else has upgraded in bits and pieces DVD, Video, etc. I'm in MS. No math tonight!:D

Still much better than my previous comp. An 866mhz PIII with a 32mb ATi All In Wonder 128. Yucky!

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Me too. My english teacher would freak!

I am currently looking at the Refub section of the Apple store. Would a refurb mac be good?

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
MonksMac said:
Me too. My english teacher would freak!

I am currently looking at the Refub section of the Apple store. Would a refurb mac be good?

A refurb is within epsilon of a new one.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Blackheart said:
A refurb is within epsilon of a new one.

What is an epsilon?

Reasons why they don't like them-
Apple software is too expensive
People that use them are Mac Freaks

Thats all I can think of.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
hrm i wonder why so much open source software runs on them ;) letsee umm unix based :D so the whole software being expensive is a joke. More then likely there is more free software availible on the mac then there is on a pc with windows.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Mac software is usually no more expensive than the same piece of software on the PC. This is true for all major apps... Word (Office), Adobe...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
You said you have just $100.

Why not just go out and buy a PowerMac?

For only $100? Yes, it can be done!

I just brought a G3 / 350Mhz / 1GB ram / 12 GB HD in London for £50 (about $70).

Have a look in your local ads for PowerMac G3s for sale, ask around your local mac group, ebay for something local (saves on shipping) Try to get the seller to upgrade it to OSX before giving it to you. (pref Tiger, but Panther is OK too)

It will look beautiful with your 21'' CRT.

iPhoto will run fine, you can do some small video work, you can add more HD space as your budget allows (if adding a drive bigger than 120GB, put it in an external enclosure and connect it via firewire or USB)

I know film students who still edit their films on their G3 laptops, so it can be done.

The main thing is you get the lovely OSX interface, lovely iMovie, Garageband etc, and NO VIRUSES :)

Modern games won't work that well, but hey, you brought it to create stuff with, not piss about playing games :)

xx

RedTomato

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
MonksMac said:

Mac OS 10.4 Upgrade: $129 (apple)
WinXP pro SP2 Upgrade: $139 (amazon)

Microsoft Office Pro (mac): $469 (CDW)
Microsoft Office Pro (winXP):$439 (CDW)

Adobe Photoshop CS2 (mac): $589 (CDW)
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (winXP): $589 (CDW)

Quicken for Mac:$68 (CDW)
Quicken Premier (XP):$77 (CDW)

Norton Antivirus for windows: $50 (CDW)
Antivirus for Mac: $0. A mac has never been infected with a virus.

Plus you get garageband, Iphoto, spotlight etc....

Mac comes out about even, a little on top.

I wouldn't call us freaks per se... It's just something your dad doesn't understand. If theres a way you can force your dad to use nothing but mac for a week (with a 2 button mouse) he'll be hooked. I know I was.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
MonksMac said:
Aside from the aforementioned comparisons, you might also do a quick search through VersionTracker--you'll find that, with few exceptions, you can do nearly anything with a piece of freeware or ~$20 shareware. Excepting production apps (FlashMX, Photoshop, etc, which are identically priced across platforms), the most I've ever spent on a piece of software was the $50 or so for iLife, and nearly everything I use is freeware.

Seriously, make a list of what tools you need, then do a search on VT and see how many apps that fill the need even cost money.

MonksMac said:
Funny, as annoying as Mac nuts can get sometimes, I always thought of this as a plus. After all, for so many people to get that worked up there's got to be *something* worth getting worked up about.

In comparison, while there are plenty of people who don't mind Windows or even enjoy using it (admittedly, I've never once met one of these people), finding a "fanboy" of Windows is difficult. (And, in my experience, people who think Windows is cool are usually 12 year old incompetents).

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
There don't seem to be too many mac users where I live. Maybe that's the problem. Stupid schools all use PC's currently upgraded to new Acers.Ironically my dad bought his first computer from them a 25mhz overclocked to 66. That same computer teacher guess what she has in one of the Computer labs. A Mac Classic or Classic II. Odd huh so I guess i could forgive her.

As for the G3 it actuaaly sounds okay but I am just worried that it isn't a new computer. Not to sound snobbish but I just prefer the security of something new . Come to think of it Does compusa take Govt. discounts and maybe I could get a leftover last revision eMac. 1.42 Radeon 9600 etc.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I take it as a compliment if someone calls me a Mac freak or Apple freak. :) I highly suggest you print some documents out for your dad explaining why the Mac is the superior computer in today's world. The Mac OS has come a looong way and kills Windows in almost every way.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
MonksMac said:
What is an epsilon?

A very small amount/difference. It's a math thing ;)

MonksMac said:
Reasons why they don't like them-

1) Any software examples? (often, the accusing party conveniently can't think of any at the moment)
2) Tell them you'll hate Macs... but you still want one. ;)

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Blackheart said:
A very small amount/difference. It's a math thing ;)

1) Any software examples? (often, the accusing party conveniently can't think of any at the moment)
2) Tell them you'll hate Macs... but you still want one. ;)
:D :D Good one!

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Another one is he won't use iTunes. it came with our HP laptop. He couldn't find WMP and so I told him to just use iTunes. He said i don't want to use iTunes. It's on my computer though and it's all i use. becasue it has some Aqua in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.