How can I Move some tracks/artists to another Folder using Itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by tahmus, Jan 26, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

How can I Move some tracks/artists to another Folder using Itunes?

I have read all about moving my entire itunes library to an external HD using the "consolidate library" function
    and I have read all about importing NEW tracks into a new folder by unchecking the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" box
    BUT
    I have not yet heard of a way to split an itunes library between an internal and external HD by moving certain artists/tracks from the default Itunes library folder to a new folder on my HD. If possible I would like to do this without losing my playlists/playcount/etc for the tracks that I would be moving.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

* The reason why I would like to do this is that my laptop's C drive is almost full. Therefore I need to free up some space by removing some music from it. BUT I would like to still have access to SOME of my music library when I am using the laptop away from the external HD (not connected to an external HD)

Thank you

2. macrumors 65816

c-Row

You could move some of your folders (say, "Compilations") to an external HD and replace the original folder with a symbolic link to its new location, so iTunes won't know the difference.

There are several threads about this option in this forum. I'd like to add, though, that I never got those links to work properly on my MBP. Maybe I was just doing something wrong, who knows. :confused:

[edit] Wait, "laptop's C drive"? What OS are you using - OSX or Windows?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestion C-row ...
    I am running Itunes on a PC ... hence the "C" drive
    Do you know if I can I still apply the symbolic link idea on a PC?
    Do you remember where the thread/s was about this?
    Thanks again

4. macrumors G5

Consultant

You should move all music to external, otherwise it gets confusing.

Bus-powered external harddrive are cheap.