Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I got new job and the new job is very boring (I want my old job back) and I think I’m experiencing loneliness now. I’m having feelings of sadness, emptiness, disconnect, being bored, restlessness, nervousness and anxiety, A longing for companionship, wanting to be around friends and family and feel sad and alone being by my self, hate being home alone. And wanting to go out a lot now and go shopping every day. Hate being by my self and home alone.

I believe I’m suffering from loneliness. I’m wondering if others here suffer from loneliness or had suffered from loneliness in the past. What the cause is and symptoms. Well obviously I cannot get my old job back.

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
I think you may be right. In my younger days I thrived on being around people. I worked late shift and didn't see or talk to many people and I despised it. The cause is being social animals, we seek other interaction. When denied, we shrivel emotionally. Symptoms are as you described. Those symptoms also describe depression, and understandably, you are a little depressed at the change in your situation.

Fast forward 30 years:

Now I am the opposite. I had a job where I interacted with hundreds of customers a week until Covid, then became WFH. We transitioned from live sales at our locations to online only and have remained so.

I had a lot of anxiety but that has mostly gone away since WFH (and not dealing with customers daily) and once the Covid restriction lifted, I am still WFH and have very little inclination to go out anywhere there are people, so other than shopping and visiting my kids/grandkids, I stay home.

I am thriving on no distractions, able to have pure focus on my work and since my wife watches my grandkids 4 days a week, I have all I need.

Anyway, my best advice is this: depending on where you are, you can always look for better conditions/hours/challenges in your career. I probably had about 8 jobs in my teens and 20's, until I found this one. I have been doi8ng this at my company now since 1987 and have no plans to retire.

Look until you find what you are satisfied with. I always taught my kids this: Do what you enjoy, and you will be very successful and happy. Do what pays the most, you may be very successful, but if you don't enjoy it, it just becomes a job for the next how many years until you can retire.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I got new job and the new job is very boring (I want my old job back) and I think I’m experiencing loneliness now. I’m having feelings of sadness, emptiness, disconnect, being bored, restlessness, nervousness and anxiety, A longing for companionship, wanting to be around friends and family and feel sad and alone being by my self, hate being home alone. And wanting to go out a lot now and go shopping every day. Hate being by my self and home alone.

I believe I’m suffering from loneliness. I’m wondering if others here suffer from loneliness or had suffered from loneliness in the past. What the cause is and symptoms. Well obviously I cannot get my old job back.
You know, everyone handles transitions in life differently. Some people suffer from anxiety and depression in a time of change, while others don't see a problem. I am one of those people who doesn't see a problem, and I can handle change well. I am only familiar with these feelings because I have had family members go through similar struggles.

Find people and/or things you enjoy. Perhaps pursue a new passion. And of course speak to a qualified mental health professional if the issues persist. Otherwise, I agree completely with @RokinAmerica .

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

I wonder is you are "homesick"?

In my years serving in the military, both my family members and I just coped with being away from the home and friends we left behind. That is all there is to it. Just try to do the best work possible at the new place, and soon enough you will make new friends while getting used to the new job. Hopefully your wages increased with the new job :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have to say I am the opposite and always have been.

Sure, in my teen/young adult years I wanted friends and used to thrive on the energy in public. But I was never upset at being alone. Alone meant I could do what I wanted, how I wanted and when I wanted. You need people out of the house to do that.

So, when family was absent and I had the house to myself I was good. While I am comfortable interacting with people at work, I've always sought my own company.

But…I am an introvert, a loner. And a member of Gen-X, the latchkey generation. I'm used to being alone. And I married a woman who is the same. We're comfortable being in opposite rooms all day because we know where the other is and we can just go talk to them if we need/want to.

I managed to make work from home permanent after Covid and I'm the happiest I've been at work. Before I had to carve out my own space. Now, I'm home in my own space. My problem isn't loneliness, a lot of the time it's boredom (except when we're busy).

It did take me awhile to adjust to this new job (I will have been here five years in February). But that was primarily because at my last job the business was sold (small, family owned business) and the buyer had their own people. Most of use were let go. After 19 years doing what I do (at that time) I had to adjust to a new way of doing it with this new job and so anxiety was high. But not because of loneliness.

My wife and I have a year and a half to go and kid 1 graduates from college. Still some time to go with kid 2. But eventually my wife and I get our pre-kid lives back (and the currently occupied bedrooms!).

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Strangely-enough, it may be entirely possible to get your old job back . . . but the even-more 'strangely-enough' would be to dive-in to the understanding of what motivated you to change from one "job", to another.

What is it (or what were the reasons behind) that prompted you to make this transition?

Money?

Higher Ceiling?

I would ask "Boredom?", here, but you seem to already have that 🤷‍♂️

grover5

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2019

Take care of yourself. I think it would be a good idea to talk to a professional and see if they can help. A therapist or someone who works in that type of field. Your own happiness and health matter.

Reactions: rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have to say I am the opposite and always have been.

Sure, in my teen/young adult years I wanted friends and used to thrive on the energy in public. But I was never upset at being alone. Alone meant I could do what I wanted, how I wanted and when I wanted. You need people out of the house to do that.

So, when family was absent and I had the house to myself I was good. While I am comfortable interacting with people at work, I've always sought my own company.

But…I am an introvert, a loner. And a member of Gen-X, the latchkey generation. I'm used to being alone. And I married a woman who is the same. We're comfortable being in opposite rooms all day because we know where the other is and we can just go talk to them if we need/want to.

I managed to make work from home permanent after Covid and I'm the happiest I've been at work. Before I had to carve out my own space. Now, I'm home in my own space. My problem isn't loneliness, a lot of the time it's boredom (except when we're busy).

It did take me awhile to adjust to this new job (I will have been here five years in February). But that was primarily because at my last job the business was sold (small, family owned business) and the buyer had their own people. Most of use were let go. After 19 years doing what I do (at that time) I had to adjust to a new way of doing it with this new job and so anxiety was high. But not because of loneliness.

My wife and I have a year and a half to go and kid 1 graduates from college. Still some time to go with kid 2. But eventually my wife and I get our pre-kid lives back (and the currently occupied bedrooms!).
I can relate to this post completely, and, by temperament, am probably quite similar to you.

I love my own space, and my own company.

And I am also quite struck by what you write about choosing to be in separate rooms, yet in companionable and congenial accord; my parents were like that (to the stupefaction of several idiotic relatives on both sides of the family who could not conceive of a happily married (and mutually respectful and affectionate) couple in a relationship where each partner gave the other physical and psychological space - and respected the need of the other partner for this - without resenting it or demanding intimacy, attention or proximity as proof of affection), and I, and my brothers, are, as well.

To the OP, @Bubble99:

You may be conflating and confusing two separate things, namely, boredom in a job and loneliness.

Boredom does not equate to loneliness, it means that you are insufficiently stimulated by, or interested in, your work; that is a professional matter.

Loneliness is something personal, and comes about from feeling a lack of human companionship, something that is often alleviated, or ameliorated, by the existence of friends and/or family with whom you enjoy close - or, at least, - comfortable ties.

Some people fulfil their needs for personal communication, encounters and engagement at work, but, ever since the pandemic, and the growth of working from home, people who are extroverted - who have a strong need for constant human companionship - may have found meeting these needs increasingly difficult.

However, those of us who are more introverted (among whom I count myself) thrill to, cheer to, the demise of (or decline in) having to travel to work and meet (and talk to - remember your Yeats:...."....I have passed with a nod of the head, and polite meaningless words, or lingered a while and said polite meaningless words.....") and work closely alongside (the open plan office is the spawn of Satan, to my mind) people each and every day.

My advice, for what it is worth, would be to find something that interests you, and to try to meet people through that (book clubs, music, sport, etc).

Professionally, perhaps you could make an appointment with your line manager, and ask for greater responsibilities, or further training, with a view to be offered work that is more challenging and rewarding; if that doesn't work, perhaps it may be time to start looking for fresh employment opportunities.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can relate to this post completely, and, by temperament, am probably quite similar to you.

I love my own space, and my own company.

And I am also quite struck by what you write about choosing to be in separate rooms, yet in companionable and congenial accord; my parents were like that (to the stupefaction of several idiotic relatives on both sides of the family who could not conceive of a happily married (and mutually respectful and affectionate) couple in a relationship where each partner gave the other physical and psychological space - and respected the need of the other partner for this - without resenting it or demanding intimacy, attention or proximity as proof of affection), and I, and my brothers, are, as well.
Neither my wife or I have ever been without our own space. Our own rooms were refuges and as a refuge, your space can be set exactly as you desire.

This is not to say that if either of us have something to mention to the other we don't go and talk. But having to share the same space for the same waking hours because of some societal notion that this is what husbands and wives do is not anything we engage in. It's just not necessary…and it goes against the introvert in ourselves. Our own alone/me time is valuable to us.

I know she's there, she knows I'm there and if there is anything important to say we both know we can go to the other. It's enough. And, text messages fill the gap. :)

We do share the same room at night, but from the time we married to now we have always shared a house and not an apartment. Typically a three bedroom home. One room to sleep in, one room hers and one room mine. Living room and front room is shared space for those times where we do share time in the same place.

There was some renegotiation when kids came along because they also needed rooms. My son got her room and my daughter got my room. But WE get them back when the kids leave…my wife first. I have about 6+ years to wait yet from my daughter (she's 15).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Some self analysis:
  • Did your new job involve a move that left old friends behind? What about friends outside of work?
  • Are you still adjusting to the new job environment?
  • Is the new job, a comfortable space?
  • If a “boring job”, maybe the discontentment is because you are feel unchallenged, which is distinctly different than being lonely?
  • Are you an extrovert or introvert?
  • Do you rely on a work environment for friendship or just some level of companionship, for the work portion of your day?
  • Do you differentiate between companionship (being around people, sharing the same environment ) with friendship, and how do these elements comparatively alleviate feelings of loneliness? 🤔

Last edited:

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I’m not sure if I’m bored and have nothing to do and are lonely to be around people to keep me busy by talking to them about things so the day is not so long or I’m more lonely and want to be around people.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I think loneliness has different forms and depths and yours may thankfully be superficial - more akin to feeling like a fish out of water and want to reconnect is the most familiar way possible.

There are far worse forms of loneliness though!

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
When you where lonely what did you do to help your self so you where not so lonely?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I usually listen to some good music (that's all I listen to is good music, but you get my point). That always makes me happy and provides the sense that everything will be okay. That's what works for me. I don't talk to people unless I really need to. I have been asked whether I "wish" I talked more in general, and my answer is always no. I don't like to talk or socialize, it's uncomfortable and both things give me anxiety. But I also have my reasons. Every once in a while it's nice to talk to someone, but it has no effect whatsoever on how "lonely" I am, because honestly, right now, I am not lonely. I'm fine.

Anyway... listening to music helps me a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grey Beard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.