Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Been using a glass screen protector on my iPhone 12 since release. I hate how gross it looks with palm sweat or fingerprints, I don’t know what it is exactly, but I want to get rid of it.

When I use an iPhone at the store the screen stays clean all the time.

If I take off the screen protector, will this "issue" go away? Or will it still happen with a naked screen?

Thanks!

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
The oleophobic coating will wear off really quickly if you got a cheaper tempered glass protector, if it existed at all. Many glass screen protector brands advertise that they have it, but it’s pretty obvious it isn’t there.

I’ve found ESR protectors to have better coatings, and Zagg probably the best I’ve ever used.

• Love
Reactions: blueeyes2die4

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Been using a glass screen protector on my iPhone 12 since release. I hate how gross it looks with palm sweat or fingerprints, I don’t know what it is exactly, but I want to get rid of it.

When I use an iPhone at the store the screen stays clean all the time.

If I take off the screen protector, will this "issue" go away? Or will it still happen with a naked screen?

Thanks!
Learning to live with smudges and fingerprints was one of the first adjustments I had to make when I started using smartphones. Particularly due to the fact that I go caseless, I had to accept this. So the answer to your question is 'no'.

However, cleaning the screen is easy. Periodically, I will wipe all the smudges away with my shirt, but at other times I want a little more. These are glass screens, so eyeglass cleaner and eyeglass cloths (microfiber cloths) work really well.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Alongside what others are saying I’d also like to mention, comparing the cleanliness of the devices you see on the Apple Store floor with your own usage is a lose lose battle. Those devices get cleaned every few minutes by the store employees.

Last edited:

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Apart from smudges and what not, if you remove your screen protector i’d say you get scratches pretty quickly. I’ve been rocking screen protectors on all my iPhones and you really don’t even notice them if you get a good one.

Smudges and stuff are pretty hard to avoid i think

Reactions: Andeddu and RRC

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Apart from smudges and what not, if you remove your screen protector i’d say you get scratches pretty quickly. I’ve been rocking screen protectors on all my iPhones and you really don’t even notice them if you get a good one.

Smudges and stuff are pretty hard to avoid i think
I love the feeling of a new protector. I’ve tried so many I’ve lost count. My favorites are FloLab NanoArmor clear for my phone and the FloLab matte anti glare for my iPad. They are more expensive than the 3 in a pack brands. But I feel the oleophobic coating lasts way longer.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Use a high quality Spigen screen protector. It feels as good as having a naked screen.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I got a deep scratch on the screen of my iPhone 5 once. In order to see it I had to contort myself so my body was half upside down and hold the phone beneath very strong light. All of this so I could get the angle right to see it. It was invisible any other way.

And I don't use screen protectors or cases.

I have a 6s+ and an 11 Pro Max you could take a look at. Based on my handling over the years and how and where I set them down and where they go in pockets, I'm confident you'd not find a scratch at all on my screens.

Perhaps if you had a very strong light…and the right angle.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I went matte screen protectors several years ago. Most everyone else in my circle of friends/family saw and wanted me to install one on their phone - and have been doing the same.

One advantage of matte screen protectors - fingerprints are a thing of the past for the most part and using your phone outside is a lot nicer.

I've been using iCarez matte for years now.

I recently tried a tempered glass protector ($20) from Best Buy just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and ... the reflectivity was almost 2x as bad as the OEM glass and the fingerprints were so bad I had to wipe the phone on my shirt every few minutes. Yeah, nope. lol. How people use those things are beyond me.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I went matte screen protectors several years ago. Most everyone else in my circle of friends/family saw and wanted me to install one on their phone - and have been doing the same.

One advantage of matte screen protectors - fingerprints are a thing of the past for the most part and using your phone outside is a lot nicer.

I've been using iCarez matte for years now.

I recently tried a tempered glass protector ($20) from Best Buy just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and ... the reflectivity was almost 2x as bad as the OEM glass and the fingerprints were so bad I had to wipe the phone on my shirt every few minutes. Yeah, nope. lol. How people use those things are beyond me.
I’m just the opposite. I have an FloLab anti glare on my iPad and love it. Tried a few different brands of anti glare on my phone and didn’t like them due to the fuzziness. Even tried the FloLab brand. Loved the feeling of the matte and the lack of fingerprints but hated the look. I don’t mind it at all on the iPad though which is weird.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I got a deep scratch on the screen of my iPhone 5 once. In order to see it I had to contort myself so my body was half upside down and hold the phone beneath very strong light. All of this so I could get the angle right to see it. It was invisible any other way.

I have a 6s+ and an 11 Pro Max you could take a look at. Based on my handling over the years and how and where I set them down and where they go in pockets, I'm confident you'd not find a scratch at all on my screens.

Im very carefull with my phones aswell however i did have scratches that when the screen was on they really showed. Could be bad luck. A modern day glass screenprotector has no noticeable downside in my opinion, just benefits. And im usually picky about these things 🤣

Reactions: eyoungren

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I always use a glass screen protector, no exceptions. The iPhone glass scratches easily no matter what users or Apple say. I prefer the Motchca anti-glare screen protector. The matte finish makes the iPhone so much more professional looking. It just looks great and the screen is easily visible in direct sunlight. The Mothca screen protector is found on Amazon for $9.

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017

Had the same issue, but in my case I also had to take the shoe off my left foot.

• Haha
Reactions: eyoungren

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I had the same ESR screen protector on my 12 Pro, from launch day right up until I sold it 3 weeks ago.
Never noticed much in the way of streaks and smudges unless my hands were particularly dirty and I wiped it off on my shirt or my glasses cloth on a regular basis.
Maybe you’ve just got unlucky with your protector, or have rather oily hands. Personally, I’d just replace it with a new one and see how it goes

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
This is just my experience. I have never used a screen protector, and I’ve never noticed any scratches on my unprotected screen.

I’d love to use my iPhones naked, but I dropped my slippery 6 and cracked the screen. I’ve used a case ever since.

So there’s this… the only part of the actual phone I can use, without completely covering it up, is the screen. I like the way it feels, and I refuse to put the whole thing in a cocoon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.