Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
I have done it before, but I cannot figure out how I did it. It feeled quite easy last month.

Problem:
- I run a Mini 5.2 with Snow Leopard. It runs great, and last month when I did a software update it became a non-booting system. I used Time Machine full machine restore, and within a few hours I was up and running again.

I thought, the a few security updates later, I should give it another try. Result: again a non booting system (it loops from dark blue to light blue screens during boot).

I wanted to do a full restore from Time Machine once again, but I can't figure out how to.
- When I use a second Mini (2009 one) to start the Snow Leopard DVD to run the program, and I want to restore it to the target-disk mounted Mini2011, it says the Mac is different from the Time Machine backup. I seriously have the feeling this is the way I restored the system last month.
- When I start with Apple-R, the system starts downloading - i don't know what - but a vast amount of data. I would say, first ask what you want to restore and then download the needed stuff, but no, there is no direct access to the Time Machine Restore option. I'm pretty sure the last restore was done in an hour or so, now it already takes 2 to download something.

Is there a way to restore a TM backup with a 3rd party tool, or without booting from the DVD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.